VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Vehicle history question - dupe title (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/vehicle-history-question-dupe-title-480517/)

Travis. 01-11-2014 10:57 PM

Vehicle history question - dupe title

I'm looking at a new to me used car. On the carfax it is stated that the car received a duplicate title. Now I know people lose them and whatnot but the locations throw me off.

11/04/2008 889 New York
Inspection Station Emissions inspection performed
Passed safety inspection

11/04/2008 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lancaster, NY Title issued or updated
First owner reported

Titled or registered as personal lease vehicle

12/08/2008 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Atlanta, GA Title issued or updated

03/05/2009 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lancaster, NY Registration issued or renewed
Duplicate title issued
Passed safety inspection

11/30/2009 13,011 New York
Inspection Station Emissions inspection performed
Passed safety inspection

From those first 4 entries you can see the car was bought in New York, titled, then went to Georgia. Then back to NY where it received a new title. All within 4 months. This just strikes me as odd. There's nothing else weird on the report whatsoever.

Just been burned on used cars before, and this one isn't exactly close by so I was looking to get some reassuring insight from someone who might know a bit more of what a duplicate title can be issued for.

Young L 01-12-2014 10:19 AM

Re: Vehicle history question - dupe title

Like you said probably just a lost title and they had it re-issued. Maybe calling up to the DMV in Ny and asking about it would help. I would assume the owners would have had to provide some sort of proof of ownership to have one re-issued.

Computer_Nerd 01-12-2014 10:41 AM

there is a massive vehicle auction business for the east coast in nj and northside atlanta. likely an auction resale.

Dillweed 01-12-2014 11:12 AM

auction cars suck too.

Fabrik8 01-12-2014 11:37 AM

Unless you're really confident that you would be the only legit owner, and all the titles are accounted for or explained, walk away. Else it could be a registration nightmare.

Travis. 01-12-2014 02:41 PM

Do you think I should just inquire the dealer and try and see what they know. As well as the NY DMV? It is a well known dealership that is selling it (Koon's Lexus of Wilmington) so it's not some shady guy second hand. Everything after that seems completely normal. The car was sold to a guy in Florida in 2011 and remained there until the new year and is now back in NJ for sale. Presumably auction car purchase. I'm familiar with how dealers purchase cars from all over, I work for toyota and we purchase cars from PA frequently.

Dillweed 01-12-2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Travis. (Post 8251679)
Do you think I should just inquire the dealer and try and see what they know. As well as the NY DMV? It is a well known dealership that is selling it (Koon's Lexus of Wilmington) so it's not some shady guy second hand. Everything after that seems completely normal. The car was sold to a guy in Florida in 2011 and remained there until the new year and is now back in NJ for sale. Presumably auction car purchase. I'm familiar with how dealers purchase cars from all over, I work for toyota and we purchase cars from PA frequently.

I'd walk away from it. VA is not the place to have any problem with a vehicle title.

djyuck 01-13-2014 03:44 AM

I wouldn't buy any car from NJ that was registered there during the floods.

ufctapout 01-13-2014 05:38 AM

prolly on dat #fukushimaradiationflow

Travis. 01-13-2014 02:15 PM

Haha prolly. oh well, guess ill pass on this one. search continues.