Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Vdubs and reliability

Old 09-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King
Default Vdubs and reliability

Ok so, im looking at a 1999 Jetta wolfsburg edition, it as almost 120k miles, i want some Vdub owner's feedback as far as their experience with theirs.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:16 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: Vdubs and reliability

Old 09-21-2006, 03:19 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

My girlfriend has a 2000 Jetta she picked up a couple months ago, after a couple things went wrong with her car I went searching on ******(I cant name a forum? what the hell?) and VWvortex, apparently they are very problematic. I would pass on it.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Dragva nukkas

eurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud of

mines a 2000 and not a thing
Old 09-22-2006, 03:40 PM
TRU
Registered Member

TRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond repute

Though I havent personally had one, I know of many problems. First, my english teachers Passat cracked the block, under NORMAL driving, and when it started to overheat a very little bit, the car was pulled over and turned off...it still cracked the block. 1 of my friends has a newer (1999 maybe?) VR6 GTi and its on the 2nd trans, and its not drivin hard at all. another friend has a 2001 1.8T GTi and is on his 4th trans, this isnt drivin hard, but not necessarily "easy" like the other 2. my other friend has a 2000 Jetta 1.8t and hes on his 5th, again, not drivin hard, but not easy. My suitemate at school has a 2000 VR6 Jetta, and its had a LOT of electrical problems(brake lights stay on, even when pedal isn't depressed, and manually pulled on, fuel pump wouldnt prime when key is turned, headunit wouldnt turn on, etc.). Some guy on here has some posts about a Passat (his wifes i think) and a lot of problems with it. my advice would be to stay away from it, especially with high mileage, but in the end its up to you.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

Dude, youve noticed something I was wondering about as well. My next door neighbor is a salesman at Greenbrier Volkswagen. He drove home an 06 Jetta for about 3 months and I swear at least three times a week when I pulled into the driveway, his brake lights were on. These were demos and less than 3k miles on both. I alerted him to this at first, but he said it always happens. Im not saying this problem is normal by any means.... but no way this should happen on an 06! Possibly a recall but it has really dampened my opinion of VDubs.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

runnin9z has disabled reputation

When you buy a Vdub you you buy into a life style, I havent seen any group of car people more dedicatedd to there cars then vdub owners. But on the reliability issue, thy edo have electrical and tranny problems, especilly the MK4.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

turbowho is an unknown quantity at this point

The 06 had a feature that will leave the parking lights on after the car has been turned off. it is an european feature that has since been removed
Old 09-22-2006, 10:46 PM
TRU
Registered Member

TRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turbowho
The 06 had a feature that will leave the parking lights on after the car has been turned off. it is an european feature that has since been removed
seems odd that it only worked sometimes? my friends was older than 06, this wasnt that feature, because they were on when we were driving, no foot on the brakes, lol.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:41 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by TRU
Though I havent personally had one, I know of many problems. First, my english teachers Passat cracked the block, under NORMAL driving, and when it started to overheat a very little bit, the car was pulled over and turned off...it still cracked the block. 1 of my friends has a newer (1999 maybe?) VR6 GTi and its on the 2nd trans, and its not drivin hard at all. another friend has a 2001 1.8T GTi and is on his 4th trans, this isnt drivin hard, but not necessarily "easy" like the other 2. my other friend has a 2000 Jetta 1.8t and hes on his 5th, again, not drivin hard, but not easy. My suitemate at school has a 2000 VR6 Jetta, and its had a LOT of electrical problems(brake lights stay on, even when pedal isn't depressed, and manually pulled on, fuel pump wouldnt prime when key is turned, headunit wouldnt turn on, etc.). Some guy on here has some posts about a Passat (his wifes i think) and a lot of problems with it. my advice would be to stay away from it, especially with high mileage, but in the end its up to you.

BS on the 4th and 5th transmissions.

They could have their cars lemoned if that was really true, and if the tranny's were covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: Vdubs and reliability