Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

V8 help. LM7 vs. LQ4 vs. LS1!!!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
veV6ga has disabled reputation
Default Re: V8 help. LM7 vs. LQ4 vs. LS1!!!

Originally Posted by RE-SPECGARAGE
Im planning to switch over to one of these engines in my 240 drift car. Boost is really not an issue but I can toy with the idea. I would like to run a nice v8 with basic mods to yeild 400hp. The LS1 would be ideal, but the Lq4 sound like a nice budget build with similar results. Weight doesnt really matter. My car weights around 2300lbs with the SR right now. I can live with another 100lbs if it means it will save me thousands of dollards. These engine seem to be priced really good compared to the LSjuan. I would love to get a hold of an ls2, but they are out of my budget. The ls1's i have found are either too expensive of have damage to them.

stay with a stupid japanese motoer in your japanese car dont bring in the gm motors for the garbage. why not a skyline motor dont go gm they are to good for a 240sx
Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Cool story Hansel.

Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28

Originally Posted by veV6ga
stay with a stupid japanese motoer in your japanese car dont bring in the gm motors for the garbage. why not a skyline motor dont go gm they are to good for a 240sx
Is this really all you have to add to the conversation?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by veV6ga
Really. . . ? Really . . .?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Fuck my life

TexasGlock23 will become famous soon enoughTexasGlock23 will become famous soon enough

Ed is highly spoke about around here!

Also, BlackBear Performance in Alexandria can tune them for cheap, he is used alot over at gmfullsize.com on the trucks. LSxtune in Richmond as well.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

I appreciate all the info. right now Im in the searching/learning mode. I have a lot to learn on these engines and hopefully I can get something to start tinkering over this winter.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

So this happend during the weekend.

98 camaro LS1

I will be sending it to abacus to get the block honed and cleaned.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Registered Member

EricDET has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by RE-SPECGARAGE
I fully understand your point and agree with it. Im just trying to keep my options open. An LS1 is already adding about 50lbs to the front suspension. Adding another 100 on top of that 50 will change the handling of the car. I am looking for an ls1 atm. well see what i find. I always seem to find good deals.
Sorry to drag this thread back out but I feel like I can add some knowledge here.

I personally run an LQ4/T56 in my S14... Even with the Iron block it weighed 31 pounds LESS than the KA fully dressed. Which I literally could not believe my eyes when I sat it on the scale. I know SR's are lighter but in my case it still weighed less after the swap then what I started with. As for the 5.3/6.0 decision, its really a no brainer to go with the 6.0... Its the same block dimensionally so it weighs less because it has less material and they can be had for almost the same price (LQ4 versions anyway). Also the Iron block is ~65 pounds heavier than the aluminum LSX variations. As for the newer aluminum 5.3's, they come with a pretty premium price but they also come with better heads/intake than LS1's. Really when you go LS1 youre paying a premium on name alone unless you find someone that doesnt know what they have. Price to performance ratio weight or not heavily favors the truck engines. They do require some extra parts and ALOT more wiring however.... I converted to a 00 F-body harness which made life a million times easier. Also tuning is the same because I run LS1 PCM.

Apart from some extra legwork I figure I saved easily a thousand dollars going iron.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Danny@respecgarage

That's what I foound when I was doing a little research. The LQ4 engine is a very good alternative to the over priced LS1. In my case, Im embarrased to say this but I have spent less than a thousand on a full ls1 swap and a busted t56. So in my case Im lucky. I might just find an LQ4 to throw in my silvia-rado missile drift car.