Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

turbo kit?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned
Default turbo kit?

I am looking to buy a turbo kit for my dd with a d-series motor and I am only looking to have a fun car too drive not looking for too much speed but would an ebay kit be ok or just get a nicer kit for about 800 used or buy an ebay one.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: turbo kit?

Get the better quality used kit. It will all be the same after being installed for a while anyway, so start with the better kit..
Old 06-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned steggun revned

^^ ok thanks man really appreciate the advice
Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET

You want reliable get the edelbrock kit or the greddy I have a buddy who is going on 3 1/2 years and no probs.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

In the end, reliability is in the tune and type of management - not the brand of the turbo kit.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

ok so the extra money will be worth it then thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Corey
In the end, reliability is in the tune and type of management - not the brand of the turbo kit.
While I agree on this point, I do not think you could call a "megan" or ebay setup as "reliable" as a greddy setup. Hell, fitment alone on the ebay kits is a headache, nevermind the manifold cracks, and shit turbos.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Oh Boy.

nunchuckgun nunchuckgun

Originally Posted by Newbsauce
While I agree on this point, I do not think you could call a "megan" or ebay setup as "reliable" as a greddy setup. Hell, fitment alone on the ebay kits is a headache, nevermind the manifold cracks, and shit turbos.
hes got a point
Old 07-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's somewhat assumed that you are going to properly tune and install whatever you get, so again, the better the kit quality to begin with the better the end result.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
WAR KITTENS?!!!

Braineack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Newbsauce
ebay pwns j00.

now to quote a wise man:

There is an element of humor in designing a turbo system for public consumption.

Here are the basics needed to run modest boost safely. Often the response is: Nope, I want something more basic, simpler yet, and more boost to boot.

Here are the basics needed to run reasonable boost safely. Nope, I want to be able to run gobs of boost and the install time must be under one hour.

Here are the basics needed to run high boost safely. Nope, I must have something that out powers everything and costs little plus jumps out of the shipping box and right onto the motor and cannot inconvience me for more than maybe a one hour install.

Don't know if the point gets across, but it must be understood somehow /somewhere/someday that forced induction requires some understanding, some engineering, some craftsmanship and a reasonable effort on the part of the owner in order to enjoy the enormous performance capabilities of the turbo Miata in a safe and durable manner.

The simplistic idea of "Let's buy the cheapest system, the one with the least engineering, the quickest install, let's opt for the poorest engine management, who cares if parts need replacing every six months" ........... is not the path to performance, durability, and above all...... fun.

I'd urge you undertake building your own system. Study the problems, study the solutions, study the hardware required for various levels of performance. Pick your performance, build to suit and keep a good margin of safety.

Last edited by Braineack; 07-02-2008 at 06:51 PM.