Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Trany Problems on my 96 Z28

Old 02-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95maro68stang has disabled reputation
Default Trany Problems on my 96 Z28

alright well i just bought a 96 z28 automatic wish it was a stick but there real hard to fine had to replace the tranny mount as soon as i bought it but was still have problems with the tranny it was slippin and not shifftin right wich i knew this when i bought the car and new i was gonna have to swap the tranny out but i lost 3rd racin my buddies gt so now i get to ride around at 45 at bout 3500 rpms but the tranny is still driveable to get me back and fourth to work which is a long drive. my question is though which rought should i go i do wanna build the car up some it is completly stock now but i plan on doin work to it as money comes along.some people have told me to buy the turbo350 tranny i gotta buddy who is sellin one for 500 wit about 1grand into it. it doesnt need to be rebuilt but ive heard the mount doesnt match up and the driveshaft doesnt either but it bolts into the block fine or i could go the rought of buyin the stock tranny brand new from casey chevy for 1400 with a 3year warranty.what do you think the best rought to go and is it a completly bitch to do the turbo350 swap i know its worse on gas considerin it being a 3 speed but im lookin more to street the car and track it then drivin long distances.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:40 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22
Default Re: Trany Problems on my 96 Z28

You'll need the Driveshaft and Crossmember from a manual LT1. And either get a tune to take out the automatic programming of your stock ECU, or get a manual car's ECU as well. You can get an ECU for $30 bucks on www.camaroz28.com
Old 02-18-2007, 02:23 AM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

It is much more involved than that, and requires more parts than what you have listed. You are going to need a crossmember, a torque arm that bolts to the chasis, a driveshaft, speedo parts, tranny lines, torque converter, shifter, oil cooler, and of course a tune.
Unless you are going to be putting down over 400ft lbs of torque, it would be a waste of money and time. The stock 4L60E can handle that and a little more and would be cheaper and easier in the long run. The transmission you have is over 11 years old and was probably beat the hell out of, you would be amazed what a refreshed transmission will do.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:47 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

4L60E's are not that hard to rebuild, although it sounds to me like you will need some hard parts (probably the sun gears, shell, and a few stators) but as long as the case isnt thrashed from driving it like it is, you should be fine with a competent rebuilder.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

95maro68stang has disabled reputation

well i actually asked around about my problem and looked into my tranny might not even be the problem when it does go to shift to third it doesnt really feel like a mechanical problem no grindin gears and no shuttering when it shifts it just feels like it goes to neutral like when you tap the gas at all in drive above 45 will say the rpms just go and the car doesnt move anywhere so i went and got a shifter silenoid i mean i might as well start with the cheapest thing i mean does anyone have any ideas or ever run into this problem and i have decided to stick with the 4L60E fer now maybe build the other tranny the one that would be comin out and just put a new one in fer now.but thanks for givin me some feedback just let me know if anyone else has run into a similar problem.