Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Trading cars?

Old 06-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chisle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trading cars?

Can anyone tell me the step by step process of trading cars? Both cars are paid off, both titled, both registered in virginia. And how long would this process take? I would appreciate any helpful responses.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

Spike101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trading cars?

My friend traded 2 of his cars. all you do is sign the title and put the price that the car is worth on the title and turn it into DMV. atleast thats what my friend did.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Spike101
My friend traded 2 of his cars. all you do is sign the title and put the price that the car is worth on the title and turn it into DMV. atleast thats what my friend did.
Do you have to physically go into DMV or can you call them with that info. Either way would be fine, its just that I'll be pressed for time.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation

trade keys, trade titles. fill out your title as the seller and have the other person do the same.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

Go to DMV I'm pretty sure.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:24 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

You have to go to the DMV.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:40 AM
Registered Member

Metrodude is an unknown quantity at this point

You get both parties together that want to trade vehicles.

Then you sign the titles over and trade keys.

Then, unless you drive like an a$$ and fear getting a ticket when you get pulled over, you need to go directly to DMV.

I think there is something like a 10 day grace period that you will not have to pay a penalty to the glorious Commonwealth for waiting to title the car. Not absolutely sure on that though.

I know for a FACT that I have went over 6 months before I titled a car that I bought/traded for and I did not have to pay a penalty.

When you put a price on the title, put something like $300 so they don't charge you out the wazoo for taxes.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

Originally Posted by Metrodude
I know for a FACT that I have went over 6 months before I titled a car that I bought/traded for and I did not have to pay a penalty.

When you put a price on the title, put something like $300 so they don't charge you out the wazoo for taxes.
if you wait that long before putting a car in your name the person that you got the car from still has to have insurance and pay taxes on it, If they don't keep it insured then they will be fined 500 dollars, lose their license and have to get a sr22

i have one now because of that shit! Don't fuck over the person you are getting something from.

to cover your own ass make a bill of sale so you can prove the date that you sold the car and DON'T cancel the insurance until you have signed over the title.

be careful people on here are dicks (sometimes) and don't give a shit about you and your well being.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses guys...one more question. Do I need to switch the liscense plates from my car to theirs and vice versa or no?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Banned

Yes.

Quick Reply: Trading cars?