VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Toyota loses $7.7 billion in Q1 (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/toyota-loses-%247-7-billion-q1-291037/)

Malfoy 05-10-2009 07:05 AM

Re: Toyota loses $7.7 billion in Q1

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 5262651)
This is very true. I don't think Japan would allow GM to open a plant to manufacturer the cars it plans to sell in Japan and allow GM to not pay import taxes.

anything else would be ludicrous

Dirk Dickbutt 05-10-2009 07:21 AM

The Big 3 are losing money because they build shitty cars that nobody wants to buy.

Toyota is losing money because of the economy.

:rolleyes:

At least that's what the beautiful people tell me.

and lol@Toyota for losing more money than anybody else.

Cobra4B 05-11-2009 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by The Wok (Post 5261984)
I bet they're the only car company losing money. :rolleyes:

You've missed the point once again. The point is that many politicians and the generally misinformed are lambasting GM for being poorly run and building shitty cars that nobody wants to buy. Here's a prime example of the company that was supposed to "have it right" hurting badly... worse than GM for Q1 in fact.

GM is hurting not because they make bad cars, but because they got caught in a recession w/o enough cash on hand to weather it.

I like GM's new commercials with Howie Long and the "they" "everybody" etc. people.

Hondas_Only 05-11-2009 06:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Stimulus and bailout packages are nothing new to japan in fact, its something we are kinda following in their footsteps on. :(

http://agmetalminer.com/2009/02/10/s...mulus-package/

i know its not an article about toyota specifically, but the point is that the idea that japanese auto makers (toyota specifically) would ask for and or take government money isnt a big surprise.

just look at TRD for a second and compare that to Nismo and Mugen, toyota took all the fun out of their brand and for what? reliability and economy? LOL they dont sell a single sports car and they are most known for the PRIUS, which when it all boils down to it, people like the gas numbers, but unless ur constantly on the road (locally) or your hippie/tree hugger, you wouldnt look twice at it.

and the people that bought camry's and grocery getters a couple of years ago are lookin for something to fill that mid life crisis void. not that everyone is trying to buy a sports car, but there is a major element of flash and cool associated with your go-fast line.

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 5264972)
I like GM's new commercials with Howie Long and the "they" "everybody" etc. people.

i always get a chuckle out of those commercials! cuz for the most part, people buy hondas over chevy's cuz they dont wanna end up on the side of the road in 2 years not cuz of gas mileage. not to mention the fact that the cobalt looks like the new school geo metro. lol

Cobra4B 05-11-2009 06:10 AM

^ Awesome how the Cobalt SS holds the ring record for a FWD car. Plus the new Malibu is an awesome car.

People buy Hondas because Honda did a great job of creating a perception of quaility. Read the real warranty claim data and you'll see that GM is every bit as good as Honda/Toyota in terms of quality and reliability.

Dirk Dickbutt 05-11-2009 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 5265148)
^ Awesome how the Cobalt SS holds the ring record for a FWD car. Plus the new Malibu is an awesome car.

People buy Hondas because Honda did a great job of creating a perception of quaility. Read the real warranty claim data and you'll see that GM is every bit as good as Honda/Toyota in terms of quality and reliability.

Indeed.

The value of a GM vehicle is excellent and is right of there with any other vehicle, foreign or domestic.

The Wok 05-11-2009 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 5265148)

And people don't buy GM cars because they have created a reputation for being crap. I'll admit that when I worked on a new Malibu it was decent - it was also brand new. Get back to me in 5-6 years.

You talk about how Honda has built a perception of quality - they did that by building quality cars. GM may be starting to come around but a few decent models does not negate years of Cavaliers, Luminas and Monte Carlos that were crap.

Dirk Dickbutt 05-11-2009 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by The Wok (Post 5265187)
And people don't buy GM cars because they have created a reputation for being crap. I'll admit that when I worked on a new Malibu it was decent - it was also brand new. Get back to me in 5-6 years.

You talk about how Honda has built a perception of quality - they did that by building quality cars. GM may be starting to come around but a few decent models does not negate years of Cavaliers, Luminas and Monte Carlos that were crap.

You're correct, and they have acknowledged that and that's the precise reason why they are in this predicament today.

JROW 05-11-2009 06:41 AM

Yeah, the economy sucks worldwide for the most part. Everyone is losing money, you just arn't hearing about other countries as much as it doesn't effect our economy as much as the big 3's problems do.

Hopefully everything turns around for everyone. Soon.

The Wok 05-11-2009 06:48 AM

Last time I heard, Toyota had a BRAND NEW plant in Texas, which cost them a boat load of money, sitting doing nothing because they got quite unlucky with the timing for the launch of the Tundra and Sequoia. I don't believe I've ever said that only American car companies were going to lose money in this climate.

I'm still waiting for the proof from the guy tossing around the "$70B" figure on the first page.