Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Toyota FJ Cruiser or Ford Edge?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Srsly.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Toyota FJ Cruiser or Ford Edge?

So, I only have a couple payments left on my Mach1 and I'll soon be in the market for a new daily driver pending my new job. I'm highly interested in the Toyota FJ Cruiser or the Ford Edge. Towing capabilities for both is going to be a big consideration for me as this summer (and many more to come), I'll be pulling around my families hot air balloon in its enclosed trailer. The trailer for the balloon weighs ~2,000lbs loaded and has a tongue weight of ~100lbs. Gas mileage is also going to be a huge concern, especially with lower oil prices no where in sight. I'm not interested in hearing about how reliable Toyota's are as I'm a firm believer that nearly every vehicle made after 1995 is going to be reliable. All wheel drive or four wheel drive is preferred as hot air balloons frequently land in soft/unfamiliar terrain. I'm also interested in having a factory navigation system for the said previous reason.
This is what it'll be pulling:

Toyota FJ Cruiser:
Engine: 4.0 liter DOHC 24-valve VVT-i V6 generating 239bhp and 278tq.
Transmission: Five speed automatic
MPG: 16/20
Curb weight: 4,295lbs
Towing capacity: 5,000lbs
Drivetrain: 4WD
Warranty: 3 years/36,000 miles
MSRP: $24,135
source

Ford Edge:
Engine: 3.5 liter DOHC 24-valve Duratec V6 with variable valve timing generating 265bhp and 250tq.
Transmission: Six speed automatic
MPG: 15/22
Curb weight: 4098lbs
Towing capacity: 3,500lbs
Drivetrain: AWD
Warranty: 3 years/36,000 miles
MSRP: $25,735
source

Please include in your post why you chose whatever vehicle you did and please don't turn this into a domestic v. import thread.

Additionally, I'm not interested in anything but these two vehicles.

Last edited by Brock Obama; 05-07-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22
Default Re: Toyota FJ Cruiser or Ford Edge?

FJs look silly stock but they look very tough with beefy wheels. There's no saving that interior, though. The Edge definitely has the, er, edge on the inside but it's a little feminine and "urban chic" on the outside.

Tough call.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

I'd say FJ, but I'm fairly certain they don't have a factory navi option. I've never seen one come through CF with one, and we've sold many FJs.

The Edge is very feminine on the outside, but you already have a Mustang, so feminine is right up your alley.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

You said it's going to be a DD.

Do you honestly wanted to crawl into that FJ's interior daily?

I'd puke daily.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:44 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

the fj looks like it would have a lot of blind spots unlike the edge, but that is just your personal likes/dislikes.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

If you want a SUV/Crossover, I'd only get something with four full doors so it's the Edge. The interior is way nicer in the Edge too and its gets slightly better gas mileage.

If you are going to do any serious off-roading, I'd go with the FJ though. Pretty sure you can get factory lockers and such.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 AM
Stuff n Stuff

240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee

Yea, FJ's are awesome in my book, if I got an SUV it's what I would get.

I like the styling of them, granted, interior is odd, but they are capable off road, have a unique look for once, and I would trust a Toyota to stay together and maintain more value than a Ford.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by Spic, Amen.
You said it's going to be a DD.

Do you honestly wanted to crawl into that FJ's interior daily?

I'd puke daily.
You can spray the interior out with a water hose in the FJ can't you? Maybe they knew you'd be in the market Spic
Old 05-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Makin Moves

Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311

Fj wins in the Towing & off road department.

Edge Wins in the looks and comfort department.

If you're going to be towing often, the FJ. If you're going to DD ~%95 of the time, Edge hands down.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Iv valet'd alot of cars in my day, the FJ yes its a great looking vehicle but the blind spots are unbearable. I personally like the Edge due to its sharp looks and its bells n whistles options.

Quick Reply: Toyota FJ Cruiser or Ford Edge?