VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   towing advice !! (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/towing-advice-487889/)

SyedUmarAhmad 12-12-2014 12:02 PM

towing advice !!

Whats up everyone, wasnt sure if I should post this here or in tech talk, I figured otheres could benefit from a solution on how to tow a lowered car

So i'm having my car towed tomorrow morning from lorton to manssas. The car is lowered about 1.5-1.8 inches all around and has a JP Vizage lip in the front (pretty damn low in the front). Also an ark exhaust that hangs sorta low in the back.

Im now trying to figure out the most managable way to have this thing towed without damaging any of the car. After doing a quick search i've come up with what I think are the 2 simplest solutions:

1. take the front bumper off prior to tow
2. put the front on 2x4s to ease it on the bed

Im curious if anyone has another solution? Its going to be super early morning so I think the 2x4s are the easiest method but the car also does nto start so I will have to manage a way to roll it on without power. I'd rather avoid having to take the bumper off as the car sits outside and its super cold here in nova.

Im sure some of you have experienced this dilemma. What are the risks involved with the 2x4 method? I've been fucked before by an incompetent tow truck driver before so im attempting to be super cautious this time around.
I've looked over this thread and will be taking most precautions prior to the tow:

http://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coup...me-advice.html

Thanks in advance

BAN HAMMER 12-12-2014 12:32 PM

Re: towing advice !!

Take the front bumper off.

SyedUmarAhmad 12-12-2014 01:13 PM

i think im leaning more towards bumper removal. PITA but better safe than sorry i guess..

Yardjass 12-12-2014 05:03 PM

How have you been fucked by a tow truck driver? Is this in a literal sense?

I had a tow truck driver refuse to tow my car. It was stock ride height but he kept insisting it was lowered. He said he didn't want to be liable for it if he damaged it, which they are.

SyedUmarAhmad 12-12-2014 05:34 PM

no not literal.

I had a car towed a few years ago that was lowered on springs and when the driver drove the car off the ramp he bottomed out, essentially crushing the bottom of my rear bumper. Long story short the company refused to pay damages claiming the damage was "pre existent". Driver acted like nothing even happened and wrote up the bill. I didnt bother taking action because the damage was probably half the value of the car to begin with, but lesson learned.

So considering my current vehicle is about 10x the value of that shit box, and the front end was just re-done about 6 months ago, id rather not taking any chances on an incompetent/even competent driver

Yardjass 12-12-2014 05:36 PM

I'm sure pictures or your bumper with yesterday's newspaper would be sufficient to make sure the company paid up. Hell, last time you probably could have gotten payment merely by threatening to call a lawyer.

JacKal 12-12-2014 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by SyedUmarAhmad (Post 8332500)
no not literal.

I had a car towed a few years ago that was lowered on springs and when the driver drove the car off the ramp he bottomed out, essentially crushing the bottom of my rear bumper. Long story short the company refused to pay damages claiming the damage was "pre existent". Driver acted like nothing even happened and wrote up the bill. I didnt bother taking action because the damage was probably half the value of the car to begin with, but lesson learned.

So considering my current vehicle is about 10x the value of that shit box, and the front end was just re-done about 6 months ago, id rather not taking any chances on an incompetent/even competent driver

I've seen that scenario played out several times. When my Yukon got towed they let it off the truck into a parked car in the lot. It was still touching the door when I came to retrieve it. The owner literally had not a single fuck to give. He jumped in my truck floored the gas peeled out and threw mud all over the place and was like "here ya go" while I stood there wondering if I was still drunk from the night before.

Moral of the story: they don't get paid enough to give a shit about your car. Removing the bumper is a good idea.

SyedUmarAhmad 12-12-2014 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yardjass (Post 8332502)
I'm sure pictures or your bumper with yesterday's newspaper would be sufficient to male sure the company paid up. Hell, last time you probably could have gotten payment merely by threatening to call a lawyer.

probably right, but I was way too dumb and ignorant at the time to bring up litigation in a way that'll actually intimidate them

Yardjass 12-12-2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by SyedUmarAhmad (Post 8332505)
probably right, but I was way too dumb and ignorant at the time to bring up litigation in a way that'll actually intimidate them

Honestly, most of the time with businesses you just have to mention it. If you have even a somewhat reasonable case, they start throwing money your way to shut you up.

SyedUmarAhmad 12-13-2014 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by JacKal (Post 8332504)
I've seen that scenario played out several times. When my Yukon got towed they let it off the truck into a parked car in the lot. It was still touching the door when I came to retrieve it. The owner literally had not a single fuck to give. He jumped in my truck floored the gas peeled out and threw mud all over the place and was like "here ya go" while I stood there wondering if I was still drunk from the night before.

Moral of the story: they don't get paid enough to give a shit about your car. Removing the bumper is a good idea.

This is true.
Well i got the bumper off this morning, the driver was luckily a nice guy, he took the time to pull out 4x4s to make sure the exhaust didnt scrape so i gave him a decent tip.

im just praying he uses the same caution unloading it since i wont be there..