Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Tow Vehicles and trailers - Let's talk

Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 AM
mmmmmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake
Default Tow Vehicles and trailers - Let's talk

Alright, I'm in need of understanding towing, vehicle choices and other options for track days.

First tow vehicles- I understand the vehicle needs to have a max towing capacity of the trailer plus the car and all your other equipment. Is there a website that has a listing of vehicles and there ratings that is easy to surf through? Not talking about cars.com or autotrader. I've seen people tow 20ft boats with a Volvo station wagon. So I'm not sure if there are other options besides trucks/SUV.

Do the words decent gas mileage and tow vehicle even go together? This has a possibility of being my dd.

Towing options- flat tow, 2 wheels off the ground, full car trailer?
Instead of buying a trailer should I rent from uhaul for each track day?

Is it worth just driving the car to the track and using a small trailer for extra tires and tool boxes. If I wreck then I will have to pay for a tow truck. Which is the only downside that I see.

All input is appreciated. I know nothing about towing.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 AM
supermoto or bust

Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones
Default Re: Tow Vehicles and trailers - Let's talk

Dodge 2500. Plug a programmer on it and get mid 20's mpg
Old 11-03-2012, 10:44 AM
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Ive done pretty much every option you listed ....

DO NOT drive the car to the track, I did that once or twice, and I found myself not pushing the car as hard because I knew I had to drive it home, causing me to be slower on track.

If you have to rent a uhaul the first couple times - DO NOT DO THIS EVERY TIME, ITS STUPID EXPENSIVE

As far as tow vehicle - Damn near EVERYONE is giong to say "GET A DIESEL" .... if you are towing just a car on an open trailer you DO NOT need a diesel.

I bought a 2005 F250 5.4v8 2WD for $3200 - a car trailer will run you around $1200

Again .... maybe rent/borrow something the first time or two to even see if the track is for you (im assuming your talking about VIR /Summit Point)

If you are pulling an open car trailer, pretty much any fullsize v8 truck will do, obviously a diesel will do it with ease, but its overkill, and diesel costs more, and more to maintain. Unless your doing a 30ft or bigger enclosed, its overkill.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Thanks for the info. I'm actually in Florida now, so I'm an hour drive to Sebring.

I figured I can do dual duty, if the truck can pull a car then it will be good for a 23ft boat as well.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:49 AM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

An open 2 axle car trailer and and any fullsize v8 will be plenty for a few track days a year. The best deals on trailers are used ones, find someone getting out of it or upgrading to an enclosed trailer.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 PM
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Also check out RacingJunk.com or NASA Forums .... and obviously CL for used trailers.

Very jealous about the sebring thing.

GetFast (member on here) is one of the head guys for NASA Mid Atlantic and South, so hes at Sebring quite a bit.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:09 PM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada

I've heard good things about the Ford 150 V6 ecoboost.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:59 PM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

I had a used chevy pickup with a v8 used it plenty of times towing with no problems, decent mileage with a load. It won't be as great as a Honda civic but it's reasonable, don't rely on cruise control when towing, can kill gas mileage going back and forth between overdrive and drive to maintain speed. I would recommend installing a transmission cooler it will prelong the life of your transmission.