Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Tire recycling?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dorydorydriftin has disabled reputation
Default Tire recycling?

Recycling plants as in Onesteel pay you for your scrap metal, copper, steel, iron, brass, Car rims..... So I find myself with a decent amount of tires laying around, none are road worthy, but just curious to know if their is any recycling for them.. preferablly one where they pay you a couple bucks. ?

any help appreciated thanks .
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0
Default Re: Tire recycling?

lol most places charge a disposal fee, you're insane if you think someone is gonna pay you for garbage tires
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 AM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

Originally Posted by 83Stang5.0
lol most places charge a disposal fee, you're insane if you think someone is gonna pay you for garbage tires
this

tire rubber isn't reusable, the only thing you can do with a worn out tire is recap it if it has enough of a ply rating, any tire that is on a car does not... nor is it cost effective to do so.

pay the fee to throw them away or use em to start a bonfire.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:29 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by jarrett2k
this

tire rubber isn't reusable, the only thing you can do with a worn out tire is recap it if it has enough of a ply rating, any tire that is on a car does not... nor is it cost effective to do so.

pay the fee to throw them away or use em to start a bonfire.
Technically this is not fully true, but its basically how scrap tires are treated currently.

As of right now, there are no shredders paying for tires because of the abundance of tire dumps still being cleaned up. However, the cost per tire for disposal has gone down significantly, and I would say with certainty that in 10-15 years the shredders will be paying for tires.

There are many uses for shredded tire, the main ones are engineered fill, crumb rubber (China buys every single bit that the local shredders can produce) and fuel for boilers. In Martinsville, there was a company set up that was a test bed for a catalyst boiler system, they would burn the tires, creating steam, and sell the steam to local industries. They shut down a few years ago because their permit was only valid for a few years, but they proved the economic viability of using shredded tires for fuel.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed

Grandpa used to use 'em in the garden to grow tomato plants.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:07 PM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

Blast them with piss.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by sea6speed
Grandpa used to use 'em in the garden to grow tomato plants.
Funny you mention that, I have teamed up with some local people that are big into "square foot gardening". I bring them larger tires (mostly light truck) about 4-8 at a time and they use them for several planters. The one I love the most is for potatoes, you lay one tire down, throw some gravel in it. Lay another one on top, lay some straw and topsoil. Mound it up a little, throw your seed tater in. When it starts to grow up, add dirt every few days, eventually building layers of dirt and stacking tires up to contain it (usually 4-5 high). The yield is right about 3X what you would get just hilling them, and about 5X what you would if you just rowed them.

Saves me disposal costs (although I deliver them, so its basically a wash) and they use them for season after season.

Of course we also have quite a few farmers building more ground silos lately for silage, they always like having extra tires for holding the cover plastic on .
Old 01-23-2011, 03:16 PM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
Funny you mention that, I have teamed up with some local people that are big into "square foot gardening". I bring them larger tires (mostly light truck) about 4-8 at a time and they use them for several planters. The one I love the most is for potatoes, you lay one tire down, throw some gravel in it. Lay another one on top, lay some straw and topsoil. Mound it up a little, throw your seed tater in. When it starts to grow up, add dirt every few days, eventually building layers of dirt and stacking tires up to contain it (usually 4-5 high). The yield is right about 3X what you would get just hilling them, and about 5X what you would if you just rowed them.

Saves me disposal costs (although I deliver them, so its basically a wash) and they use them for season after season.

Of course we also have quite a few farmers building more ground silos lately for silage, they always like having extra tires for holding the cover plastic on .
Old 01-23-2011, 03:28 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Just leave them on the side of the road some where

It's a victimless crime, like punching an Ultraspeed member in the dark...
Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 PM
bash'n threads

witty2733 witty2733 witty2733 witty2733 witty2733 witty2733 witty2733 witty2733

Originally Posted by 83Stang5.0
what about used latex

Quick Reply: Tire recycling?