Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Time for PAINT! Need your input...

Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedeast has disabled reputation
Default Time for PAINT! Need your input...

Just as the title suggests, I am preparing to paint my car. So far I am sold on Gloss Jet Black.

I am looking for input from anybody really, but it would be nice to see some field professionals chime in. I have been thinking about doing a basecoat/clearcoat as that seems to be the way to go, BUT I hear good things about the outcome of a good Urethane Enamel.

My questions:

If I go with a basecoat/clearcoat, what brands have stolen your heart? What about brands of urethane enamel? Which is best in your opinion? What other options should I consider?

And lastly, if you had to choose a color for my 1990 Nissan 240sx Hatch, what would you choose? Metallic?

Thanks guys,

Zach

Here's the car:

Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Duct tape & Zip Ties

SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO
Default Re: Time for PAINT! Need your input...

I heard that a chrysler jet black is the blackest black one could go with.
although I went to tape, inc. here in va beach and they said their straight black nothing added with a thick clear is the blackest. affortable auto- duane can probably guide you a bit more helpfull than I could.
I'm very partial to a green metallic.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I based my decision on the BMW 668 (Jet Black). All of the professionals I talk to say black is black, but I clearly see the difference in different makes. I will check on that lead, thanks.

I am partial to green as well, but I'm saving that one for a British car I have my eyes on.

Edit: The black on the new Camaro is pretty sexy. I have a color code: WA 8555. That still leaves the brand question open though.

Last edited by speedeast; 07-13-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004

Originally Posted by SCREECHO
I heard that a chrysler jet black is the blackest black one could go with.
although I went to tape, inc. here in va beach and they said their straight black nothing added with a thick clear is the blackest. affortable auto- duane can probably guide you a bit more helpfull than I could.
I'm very partial to a green metallic.
Duane can probably give you the best advice on here. I'm sure he will chime in when he sees the thread.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi

Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be

personally, from the cars ive painted and different brands ive used, i like Transtar the most. from want ive herd tho, alot of people use PPG.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

candy black...lmao...actually no there is no such thing...

the blackest ive found and what i use on customers cars is sherwin-williams black tint...i THINK its 9700...dont hold me to it...

its actually a mixing tint that is supposed to be used with other colors to make colors...

but you use that alone with basemaker and it becomes basecoat..and its jet black...

just make sure the gun your spraying it with is perfectly clean...any trash,old paint,etc...will come out ....

and when you think the gun is perfectly clean,take it all apart and clean it again..
Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004

Originally Posted by nftuatn
candy black...lmao...actually no there is no such thing...

the blackest ive found and what i use on customers cars is sherwin-williams black tint...i THINK its 9700...dont hold me to it...

its actually a mixing tint that is supposed to be used with other colors to make colors...

but you use that alone with basemaker and it becomes basecoat..and its jet black...

just make sure the gun your spraying it with is perfectly clean...any trash,old paint,etc...will come out ....

and when you think the gun is perfectly clean,take it all apart and clean it again..
I was just getting ready to ask you to troll over here and give your advice. I thought you'd have something in mind.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

thanks man...i usually look around and add input wherever necessary!!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for dropping by! I will look into the Sherwin Williams this week. I also assume you're recommending a base/clear...
Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

mistake.

Quick Reply: Time for PAINT! Need your input...