Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

? for those who use harnesses.....

Old 12-18-2005, 03:33 PM
show no mercy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC
Default ? for those who use harnesses.....

those who use harnesses, what do you uses and why? pros / cons?

brand, as well as type (# point)

what does 4 point offer over 3 point, shit like that.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

staraya moskva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ? for those who use harnesses.....

They're extremely uncomfortable. Unless you're going to do some serious racing I suggest you don't get harnesses. Who needs a strap on their crotch while driving?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:42 PM
show no mercy

looking for more technical info....
Old 12-18-2005, 03:57 PM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

I don't use them, but maybe you want to pose this question to someone at the SCCA? They might have some info on it.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

For one of my cars, I use a Schroth Autocontrol II 3-point harness.

I use that one in particular because it has the convenience of being able to move around normally (as the Autocontrol is essentially a Rallye 3 with an interia reel) since the car mostly saw street use, but during the few occassional times I needed to really be secure (for more spirited driving), I could flip a switch and be able to tighten it down like a proper harness.

What type of info are you looking for exactly?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:24 PM
show no mercy

Originally Posted by soulDistortion
For one of my cars, I use a Schroth Autocontrol II 3-point harness.

I use that one in particular because it has the convenience of being able to move around normally (as the Autocontrol is essentially a Rallye 3 with an interia reel) since the car mostly saw street use, but during the few occassional times I needed to really be secure (for more spirited driving), I could flip a switch and be able to tighten it down like a proper harness.

What type of info are you looking for exactly?
info such as you gave. just looking at preferences as to what brand, and what type people use. 3pt vs 4 pt. why is one better or worse than the other. just feedback on harnesses that people are using.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

Originally Posted by 2JZ JC
info such as you gave. just looking at preferences as to what brand, and what type people use. 3pt vs 4 pt. why is one better or worse than the other. just feedback on harnesses that people are using.
What's going to be the main purpose for your harness? Is this going to be on a car that will see mostly street use with occassional fun driving that warrants a harness? Or is this going to be a more track-oriented car? The purpose is going to help determine which is the harness more suited to your needs.

As for 3 vs 4 pt harnesses, I want to say that the 4 point is preferrable because it spreads the stress load more evenly, but I'll have to look it up specifically and get back to you on it unless someone wants to chime in.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:40 PM
show no mercy

What's going to be the main purpose for your harness? Is this going to be on a car that will see mostly street use with occassional fun driving that warrants a harness? Or is this going to be a more track-oriented car? The purpose is going to help determine which is the harness more suited to your needs.

As for 3 vs 4 pt harnesses, I want to say that the 4 point is preferrable because it spreads the stress load more evenly, but I'll have to look it up specifically and get back to you on it unless someone wants to chime in.
my purpose is street with occasional track usage. (drag strip) im asking to gain better knowledge on the subject and item. i hate buying shit without fully understanding it.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Patron

Originally Posted by 2JZ JC
my purpose is street with occasional track usage. (drag strip) im asking to gain better knowledge on the subject and item. i hate buying shit without fully understanding it.
Going to still use your stock seatbelts on the street, or looking to use the harness as the primary restraints?

The only reason why I got my harness in particular (as opposed to the cheaper versions without the inertia reels), was because my car came with godawful automatic seatbelts, and I was looking to use the harness as a replacement to the stocks.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:47 PM
show no mercy

Going to still use your stock seatbelts on the street, or looking to use the harness as the primary restraints?

The only reason why I got my harness in particular (as opposed to the cheaper versions without the inertia reels), was because my car came with godawful automatic seatbelts, and I was looking to use the harness as a replacement to the stocks.
exactly!!! same for me.

Quick Reply: ? for those who use harnesses.....