Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Synthetic oil story....

Old 04-17-2010, 05:27 AM
FckYoCouch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin
Default Synthetic oil story....

I know there's always a discussion about the benefits of synthetic oil vs. conventional oil, so I thought I'd post my experience.

Finally made it down to Northeast Dragway (Hertford, NC). On my first run, I launched off the footbrake for a shakedown run... after I hit the trap, I saw a whole bunch of smoke in my rear view and no oil pressure.

I can hear all sorts of lifter noise as I come back down to pick up the time slip and back to the pits... I pop the good and I blew the damned oil filter off the car! I dumped 6 quarts of oil in the process... so the car made part of that run and the drive back on no oil... I ended up borrowing one of the tech guys cars and driving to Walmart to get more oil and a filter. I refilled the oil and put the filter on and crossed my fingers.... started her up and still heard all sorts of lifter noise... let it run for about 3 or 4 mins to warm up and then..........she starts to purr like a kitten.... somehow, I got out of this situation without destroying the motor. All I can say is, synthetic oil is worth what you pay for it.

This motor has had RP in it since it was built...as well as the tranny and rear end. I use Mobil 1 in my Toyota and Dodge truck due to the slightly lower pricing. I'm failrly certain that had I been using conventional oil in the Buick, I would have grenaded the motor on that oilless 1/8 mile run.. I was turning about 5500 rpm and at 96mph with no oil!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:34 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Re: Synthetic oil story....

nice, that's pretty impressive. maybe you'll make sure that filter is a 3/4 turn past contact next time, right?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:54 AM
FckYoCouch

rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin

Originally Posted by blackout
nice, that's pretty impressive. maybe you'll make sure that filter is a 3/4 turn past contact next time, right?
Crap.. I forgot to mention that the stupid clam at Pep Boys gave me the wrong filter. I had 6 quarts of RP oil and a Mobil 1 filter. She told me that if I were to buy a RP filter, it would be $4 off the filter and .65 off each quart... so I told her okay. She goes back and gets the RP filter and tells me, "The parts guys checked it out and it this is the right one.".. it threaded on and snugged up, but it was just different enough to come off under 80-90psi...
Old 04-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Reef tank addict

phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber

cool story?
Old 04-17-2010, 06:23 AM
FckYoCouch

Originally Posted by phyber
cool story?
The story lends validity to the advertisments for synthetic oil wherein they drain the oil from two running motors (one conventional oil, one synthetic oil) and the motor containing the synthetic continues to run long after the other has seized... Because this is not something that we are likely to try on purpose, I thought it was an interesting story which shows essentially the same test on an operational motor, albeit, unintentionally. Hence, the subject of the post references oil and not my trip to the racetrack...

oh, and STFU.....
Old 04-17-2010, 06:48 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

I thought that was a great stor,.unfortunate and obviously lucky. Whether or not the motor being saved had anything to do with the oil be synthetic, its cool to hear that it may have been the determining factor. Either way it makes me feel better that I use synthetic in my car.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE

Originally Posted by phyber
cool story?
bro
Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Out of mind, BRB....

Drake69 has disabled reputation

http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/

Here is a link from Supramania dealing with thorough info regarding oil, both dino and synth. No, it's NOT all about Supras, it covers all the basics on oils and what the different weights mean, true synthetics vs. mixed synths, oil myths that are still being used by "qualified mechanics", etc. A LONG read, but very informative.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:43 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

I've always ran syn. In all my cars for peace of mind.

Glad to hear your car is all right.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Damn that would have sucked ASS. and I am pretty sure your old lady would have been upset as well lol.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil story....