Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

suspension qs

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM
pissedoffpopularkids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kidcivicEx kidcivicEx kidcivicEx kidcivicEx
Default suspension qs

So i was curious if there could be any possible benefit on where you place the
weight of your suspension as far as lowering in the front only or even the back only.
If the car is a front wheel drive & if the front was lowered will it put more power to the front wheels? or improve handing in any sort. if there are faults with it only being in the front what could that be?

If i posted in the wrong place direct me to it before bashing.

I feel like i have to walk on egg shells if i have serious questions
Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: suspension qs

Lowering isn't changing how much weight is on the front and how much weight is on the rear. You'd have to have a really high center of gravity and a huge change in ride height (on one end of the car) for the center of gravity to move front or back just by tilting the car. But, if you lower one end or the other you can affect how weight is transferred during a drag launch, but that can also be changed by what the relative spring rates in the front and rear. So it depends on where the weight starts, and then how well the springs resist the weight transfer after that. A lot of FWD drag cars use a really high rear spring rate so the chassis can't tilt backwards on the launch and unload the front wheels. If you lower the front with stiffer aftermarket springs, and keep the rear on soft stock springs, you'll have a lower front end (obviously) but you'll still have a lot of weight transfer during a launch because the rear springs are soft.

I'm still trying to figure out what you're asking exactly, so it's hard to give a decent answer..
Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Lowering isn't changing how much weight is on the front and how much weight is on the rear. You'd have to have a really high center of gravity and a huge change in ride height (on one end of the car) for the center of gravity to move front or back just by tilting the car. But, if you lower one end or the other you can affect how weight is transferred during a drag launch, but that can also be changed by what the relative spring rates in the front and rear. So it depends on where the weight starts, and then how well the springs resist the weight transfer after that. A lot of FWD drag cars use a really high rear spring rate so the chassis can't tilt backwards on the launch and unload the front wheels. If you lower the front with stiffer aftermarket springs, and keep the rear on soft stock springs, you'll have a lower front end (obviously) but you'll still have a lot of weight transfer during a launch because the rear springs are soft.

I'm still trying to figure out what you're asking exactly, so it's hard to give a decent answer..
So is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
So is that a good thing or a bad thing?
In a FWD car, it's a bad thing. You get better traction in the rear during rearward weight transfer, and reduced traction in the front. Stiff springs in the back mean that the chassis movement is greatly reduced, which reduces the part of the weight transfer that is caused by the chassis moving. There will still be weight transfer during acceleration even with completely rigid suspension (as long as the center of gravity is above the ground), so you can't eliminate it just by changing springs or ride height.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 PM
pissedoffpopularkids

kidcivicEx kidcivicEx kidcivicEx kidcivicEx

thanks a ton for your answer, it was help full and explained what i was questioning and more '
Originally Posted by Fabrik8