Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The superintendent of State police has updated the State Inspection manual

Old 02-03-2009, 07:29 AM
mmmmmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake
Exclamation The superintendent of State police has updated the State Inspection manual

I just wanted to inform everyone that I have seen the revision for 2009 car inspection laws. I failed inspection and asked to see the book as I had a copy of the laws pertaining to my exterior changes.

First: Tail light tint--- There was a loophole that we could use with this law. The law originally stated "light must be seen from 500 feet away." While we had the law of no aftermarket lights you could still loophole your tails by painting your stock ones. Thus, no ticket was ever issued to me as I could squeeze through with that loophole.

NOT ANY MORE: New law in the book says: All tail lights must be red, no drop of any other color may be present.

Side Markers: Law states they must be Amber color, no other color may be present.

I do not know how clear markers will be affected, I had mine tinted.

Those are the only laws I am aware of right now. I only failed because of those two issues. I am at work so I can not look up those laws on the VA state site right now. I will do it later.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

SpoolnSRT4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: VA has UPDATED State Car Laws

Interesting thanks for the update.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:55 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

well my tails are all red. lol

and i shaved all my corner markers and fender lights
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

I don't see anything about a drop in color, just that it has to be red or amber and visible from 500 feet.
§ 46.2-1014. Brake lights.

Every motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, except an antique vehicle not originally equipped with a brake light, registered in the Commonwealth and operated on the highways in the Commonwealth shall be equipped with at least two brake lights of a type approved by the Superintendent. Such brake lights shall automatically exhibit a red or amber light plainly visible in clear weather from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle when the brake is applied.
Same thing for the side lights, all it has is the max output of the lights, 6 candlepower.
§ 46.2-1020. Other permissible lights.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with fog lights, not more than two of which can be illuminated at any time, one or two auxiliary driving lights if so equipped by the manufacturer, two daytime running lights, two side lights of not more than six candlepower, an interior light or lights of not more than 15 candlepower each, and signal lights.
Maybe LIS hasn't been updated yet
Old 02-03-2009, 08:04 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Originally Posted by eng
I don't see anything about a drop in color, just that it has to be red or amber and visible from 500 feet.

Same thing for the side lights, all it has is the max output of the lights, 6 candlepower.

Maybe LIS hasn't been updated yet
That is the thing. Those are what I have printed out, but what he showed me on paper was completely different. Nothing in his printed manual said anything about the 500 foot rule.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

hmmm subscribed
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 AM
mmmmmm

Well, when I get a chance I am going to swing by the State Police station. I may be able to do that tomorrow, today if I am lucky.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:42 AM
1 happy dude

snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad

retarded va laws, *sigh*
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 AM
No

Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64

So does this imply the housings or the overall color the device emits?

Edit: Wouldn't mind seeing a sticky of important, or repetitive VA car laws sticky'd some where... Lot of people have questions on these damn things like myself
Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 AM
mmmmmm

Originally Posted by Bizkit64
So does this imply the housings or the overall color the device emits?

Edit: Wouldn't mind seeing a sticky of important, or repetitive VA car laws sticky'd some where... Lot of people have questions on these damn things like myself
My understanding is the housing of the tail light itself must be the factory red or clear color. You can not have tail light tint anymore.

Quick Reply: The superintendent of State police has updated the State Inspection manual