Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Subaru Forester

Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-GoKart- will become famous soon enough
Default Subaru Forester

Looking to purchase a used one (98-01) and waswondering if anyone on here has had any dealings with them. Are the boxer engines fairly easy to work on? Do these cars totally suck, or are reliable?
Thanks for any input
Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 AM
LXRY STI

SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik
Default Re: Subaru Forester

Fairly easy to work on....except the spark plugs are kind of a pain in the ass to get to.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Registered Member

-GoKart- will become famous soon enough

I keep reading that these have a head gasket problem. Do you think it is a fairly easy work?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

I don't think it would be that bad, definitely more of a pain in the ass than a v or i style motor though.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

scoobydoobie has disabled reputation

Sent PM
Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Originally Posted by -GoKart-
Looking to purchase a used one (98-01) and waswondering if anyone on here has had any dealings with them. Are the boxer engines fairly easy to work on? Do these cars totally suck, or are reliable?
Thanks for any input
They are good vehicles with some flaws. The head gaskets on them are prone to blowing or leaking coolant externally, so be mindful of that. The catalytic converters and wheel bearings aren't the greatest. Other than that Subaru's can last forever. Working on them isn't that bad. Spark plugs are a little difficult to get to, but moving a few things out of the way(washer resovoir, etc) help. Knowing the vehicle will help you get around things and make it easier.

Also when you are looking to buy, take it to a good technician who knows Subarus. One main thing to look for is tires. Make sure that the circumference is within 1/4" on all 4 tires. If it isn't, then do not buy it. Chances are the transfer clutches have been or will be damaged due to the tire irregularity and it is expensive to fix. Also never tow on anything but a flatbed unless it is a 5 speed, then you can use a tow bar/dolley.

The engine is known for oil leaks from the crank and cam seals, valve cover gaskets, wrist pin(aka rear/front seperator) cover, etc. Timing belt is recommended at 105,000 miles. Many people think you have to replace the water pump when you do a belt but that's not true. A pump on them rarely fails, so unless you want to shell out extra cash, there is no need to. Also when it comes to overheating, the T-Stat rarely fails too.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:25 AM
Registered member

Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz

My friend has over 220K miles on his 99. Minimal problems at best and I don't think he ever had head gasket problems. His experience one of the reaons I bought mine.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Originally Posted by Twelvz
My friend has over 220K miles on his 99. Minimal problems at best and I don't think he ever had head gasket problems. His experience one of the reaons I bought mine.
Some of them won't. I have seen some of the older ones 98-01 with no problems but also seen some that do.