Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Street Legal Quads in VA?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jugrnt has disabled reputation
Default Street Legal Quads in VA?

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/1420668840.html

I read this on craigslist earlier and I know many on here would be interested. Anyway Serious Racing Development a company in Norfolk is saying they can make any quad street legal for $500. I'm not too sure what the requirements are so i called and the guy John aka (grasshopper). he ensured me that he has two street legal quads right now. One has a 600cc kawasaki ninja engine and the other has a 1000cc gsxr engine. I asked him if engine size mattered and he said it didnt. so im guessing you can have anything from a 50cc to a 800cc? (dunno) And i also asked him how much labor would be for the conversion and he told me that the $500 was EVERYTHING. I think he said the kit was $250 and labor im guessing is the other half. I just think it'd be awesome if they really found some loophole to make quads street legal. I didnt ask him if you needed a motorcycle License, it slipped my mind because i've had mine. He also said they'll give you all the paperwork you need to get it insured. He mentioned geico and progressive. But if they can make quads street legal i know i'm going to do it. Of course you'll get a LOT of extra attention from everyone (including the police). just wanna hears ya'lls thoughts and pros and cons of the street legal quads.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned

ST!11 @ N30N will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Street Legal Quads in VA?

god damnit i sold my raptor...ide be all over this sheet like jesus ona cross
Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

this is very sketchy. i have looked into it in nc, it the atv does not come with a titile, its virtually impossible to get them street legal in most states. i am sure you could bend the rules and classify them as "home built" or do a street bikes conversion and use the bike vin and title but again, its sketchy. if he has found a way around it i would redgister mine in va then transfer the title
Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Registered member

TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan

They sound SERIOUS :P

I guess they qualify them as kit cars or something?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
They sound SERIOUS :P

I guess they qualify them as kit cars or something?
and good luck on getting a sate inspection at any ol inspection station. i would like to go check out this operation.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 AM
Carolina Kracker

the pic of the atv they posted, i think they brought it down to north east one night.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

Jugrnt has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by quick26
and good luck on getting a sate inspection at any ol inspection station. i would like to go check out this operation.
The guy John said they do the state inspections there and of course they follow the guidelines but he said they're EXTRA strict on the condition and operation of the braking system.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

I would like to see how they get around the inspection requirements for the emissions system as a motor vehicle, FMVSS requirements for crash testing (bumpers, restraints, etc), the windshield/defroster/wiper requirements, and the titling requirements.

It is not feasibly possible in the US to make one legal on the state and federal level.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

I wouldn't drive one on the street outside a tiny town my parents grew up in anyway. Its dumb ass fuck.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Carolina Kracker

Originally Posted by Jugrnt
The guy John said they do the state inspections there and of course they follow the guidelines but he said they're EXTRA strict on the condition and operation of the braking system.
that is the thing, you would have to go back to them for the inspection. i want to know how they get around it. i would pay them for the paperwork but they are not touching my bike. expecially if that bike in the ad is the same as what they brought down here.

Quick Reply: Street Legal Quads in VA?