Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

stereo advice

Old 03-23-2004, 02:59 PM
BeachBunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sexxzz28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stereo advice

Hey, can anyone give me some recommendations for upgrades to a 2003 Honda Civic stock stereo system? My younger brother wants to start playing with his system, but knows very little about the equipment and what works with what. He works for Sony, so he's leaning toward buying the in-dash parts from them, but doesn't really want Sony speakers and amp and whatnot. Any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2004, 03:19 PM
visuallyinklined.com

sebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: stereo advice

JL audio 1000/1 amp with a nice 12w7 to go along with it. if too much for ya on the budget try any of Jl audio subs. best shit in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Painting Portraits

VolvoTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point

sony decks....nice. sony speakers.....not so nice. my friend but an Xplode deck in his stock civic and it made it sound real clean. the wattage of the deck will increase the speaker sound itself but the speakers might kick it up a notch, especially if you throw some 3-ways in the back. just read up on the specs and look at like wattage (both the range and peak powers). www.carstereomall.com usually has sick deals on their merchandise, like way off retail prices. enjoy.....
Old 03-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Capster78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell him to buy a camaro and put longtubes and loudmouth exhaust on it.. That is all the sterio he will need
Old 03-23-2004, 07:12 PM
BeachBunny

sexxzz28 is an unknown quantity at this point

i'll pass it all along...thanks!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:47 PM
MVP Member

ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz

I dont really like Sony decks, they are unreliable, at leas the old ones are. Get a Pioneer or Alpine deck with some new speakers in the stock places. Components are best but cost more but well worth it. Sub isnt necesarry with nice components
Old 03-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

audiophile24 has disabled reputation

i have always been partial to mb quart and jl audio myself best shit IMO.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:57 AM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

Originally Posted by sexxzz28
Hey, can anyone give me some recommendations for upgrades to a 2003 Honda Civic stock stereo system? My younger brother wants to start playing with his system, but knows very little about the equipment and what works with what. He works for Sony, so he's leaning toward buying the in-dash parts from them, but doesn't really want Sony speakers and amp and whatnot. Any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks!
Not very fond of Sony, but if he can get a Sony head unit at cost I don't think I'd pass that up. He should have 6 1/2" speakers all the way around. If he's working on a budget, I'd recommend something along the lines of Infinity or Polk Audio. Plan to spend a minimum of $100/set. The sony amps and subs aren't great, but again, at wholesale cost, I wouldn't pass them up either.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:34 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Originally Posted by sexxzz28

Thanks!
Jen, talk to Nic when it comes to stereos. He is the one I recommended to you yesterday
Old 03-24-2004, 05:46 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Audio/video is one of my favorite areas of car modding. I have tried all sorts of brands and models, from super ghetto to super expensive. My lasting impressions:

Best Electronics (receivers, TV, decoders, etc.) - Alpine
Best Subwoofers - RF Punch Power, Kicker Solo-Baric
Best Amps - RF Punch Power

don't have a favorite on mids/tweets/components...there are many options that I have not had a chance to evaluate.

...if he is building a serious system, he should get a Stinger alternator made. Power caps HELP, but are not the best solution to power drains. They should be coupled with a high-amp alternator, and maybe additional batteries depending on how wild the system is.

Quick Reply: stereo advice