VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   State inspector question? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/state-inspector-question-221060/)

diggity dave 01-16-2008 08:50 PM

State inspector question?

anyone know the required amount of shop experience(how many years) you need to get your state inspector's license?? in VA -thanks

resideinVA 01-16-2008 08:51 PM

Re: State inspector question?

i think you just have to be ASE certified to do them
i dont think theres a shop time experience limit.
just be ASE certified to do them

j4k3 01-16-2008 08:52 PM

Nope. It's two years.

diggity dave 01-16-2008 09:14 PM

k thats what i thought i know you dont need ase cert. i just didnt know if it was 1 or 2 years...thanks

atmdc 01-16-2008 11:27 PM

you get paid pretty decent too

j4k3 01-17-2008 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by atmdc (Post 3755530)
you get paid pretty decent too

Judging by the bitching my inspector does I wouldn't think so.

Kyon 01-17-2008 03:17 AM

decent for a 19y/o with no education

i, personally, would not do it

88SinZ 01-17-2008 02:30 PM

One year experience, with the shop foreman/mech signing to verify. ASE is a voluntary certification, though some chain shops require you get one before you perform anything else besides oil changes and such.

Shops only make $4.50 for each inspection, that requires no work to bring up to standards.

DORKO 01-17-2008 02:41 PM

i went to votech for 2 years, and i have had 6 months prefessional experience (at a dealership) not to mention the hours i've spent on my cars/friends cars, in my own garages. BUT that dosen't count.

i passed the inspectors test the first time, and no later than 30 days later i was inspecting vehicles.

There is a backgorund check, and a credit check. DO NOT LIE ON THE APPLICATION. if you have even been CHARGED not convicted CHARGED, make sure you put that on the APP. CHARGED means, if you got pulled over and got a speeding ticket, but it was dropped in court, you still got CHARGED, just not convicted.

if you've been to any kind of technical trade school, that has to do with automotive, that counts as shop experience.

i got my liscense and i only got a fucking dollar raise. i mean yeah its cool to be an inspector in your shop, if you ae re the only inspector, you would make more money, but if there is 10 inspectors in the shop, then thats all you decision.

Only reason i got it was because it looks good on my resume.

S2K_Guy 01-17-2008 03:14 PM

Well things may change Kaine wants to make it biannual to increase State revenue.