Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Spark Plug wires

Old 08-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Taking the shot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts
Default Spark Plug wires

How much do aftermarket spark plug wires help? Im looking at a set of 10.2mm wires that are supose to improve hp threw out the the whole powerband and improve mpg. Can u go too big on spark plug wires? I think these ones were had a triple core or something does that matter at all? Havnt heard anyone really talk about them so i was just wonderin
Old 08-09-2004, 10:11 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Spark Plug wires

I honestly doubt you'll find, feel, notice, etc any difference using non-stock wires on a motor essentially stock...

Hell I've read reports where "LARGE" diameter wires negated performance. I forget exactly why, something about the electricity having a larger range of motion before it actually hit the fuel

The only real benefit that I can see plug wires having; apart from using utterly cheap wires, is using wires with a larger diameter just for the extra heat protectoin. My lt1 with headers used to burnt wires horribly if they came anywhere near the headers. That required better wires, simply for the heat control.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:39 AM

Zero Signal is an unknown quantity at this point

You won't really notice a difference by switching to a larger wire alone.

If you're using an aftermarket high voltage capacitive discharge ignition system, or you have problems with engine heat melting the jacket on your wires, I could understand switching to a larger, more heavy duty wire. Most companies have some sort of gimmick to get you to buy their wires. However, I ran an MSD 6A ignition and Blaster 2 external coil with factory Honda plug wires and never had any problems.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Taking the shot

QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts

So if were install a MSD Ignition upgrade, i would then have to upgrade to larger spark plug wires?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Soon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by QwanSanchez
So if were install a MSD Ignition upgrade, i would then have to upgrade to larger spark plug wires?
The money could definately be spent in better places Quinn.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Taking the shot

ya i know im just gatherin info right now.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Soon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to behold

ya i know im just gatherin info right now.
Port the heads/intake. New pistons, up the compression a bit
Old 08-10-2004, 07:59 PM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

the only aftermarket wires that are really worth the extra dough are magnecors. they wont give extra horsepower but they have good sheilding and are very durable for race environments. i think they even come with a lifetime guarantee. i got mine off ebay new out of the box for a decent price i would look into them.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Taking the shot

Originally Posted by Soon2BeStangin
Port the heads/intake. New pistons, up the compression a bit

Thought about it but thats really pointless to do to this motor since it has so many miles on it, plus i dont feel like having no car while i wait for that shit to be done. I think im gonna save up and buy another motor with alot less miles on it to do that shit to.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Thought about it but thats really pointless to do to this motor since it has so many miles on it, plus i dont feel like having no car while i wait for that shit to be done. I think im gonna save up and buy another motor with alot less miles on it to do that shit to.
Makes sense, but seeing how you work a ~$6/hr job, what are the odds of you actually affording the motor you want?

I always say, think realistically Quinn. I know what you want, but you do have to consider you are only in highschool. My only advice would be start saving now

Quick Reply: Spark Plug wires