Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Sound Deading Options?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ClassicJDMCars has disabled reputation
Default Sound Deading Options?

I'm looking for a sound absorbing material I can use other than Dynamat.

I'm sure Dynamat is great stuff, but I'm not building a show car, and I'd like to keep the budget down on this little project.

Here's what I've come up with so far, any opinions good or bad are welcome. Also, if you have anything else to suggest feel free!

1)Quick Fix gutter repair (found at lowes)
2)Peal and Seal (found at Lowes)
3)Spray on Bedliner

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Sound Deading Options?

There are some alternative brands that make the same type of adhesive mastic products that Dynamat makes, but without as much markup. The only brand I can remember is Brown Bread (if they're still around), but there are numerous other brands.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

cork board maybe
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 AM

Chezkers Chezkers Chezkers Chezkers Chezkers Chezkers Chezkers Chezkers Chezkers Chezkers Chezkers

fabric store? find some thing material that put it in your trunk area etc...
Old 03-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
There are some alternative brands that make the same type of adhesive mastic products that Dynamat makes, but without as much markup. The only brand I can remember is Brown Bread (if they're still around), but there are numerous other brands.
Yea, I've looked at those options, but what I saw they were still more money than I wanted to spend.

To give you a comparison the Quick Fix material is $15 for enough to do the entire area I want to do.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Flesh Into Gear.

kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa

There's some stuff at lowes or home depot. I read somewhere that when dynamat was running low on product, they went and bought the stuff from lowes, stamped their name on it, and sold that. But I don't know how much it was either...
Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

I used eDead in my car w/ a layer of Ensolite foam over it. eDead is budget dynomat, worked wonderfully. Total cost for everything to do my car was in the $250 range.

You have to remember that products like Dynomat and eDead are mass dampers... they add mass to a panel to change the resonant frequency of it. They prevent sound waves from moving within a panel.

Then you've got the ensolite foam... this is a sound barrier... it prevents sound from moving through a panel... like directly through on a perpedicular plane. If that makes sense.

The combination of the two works wonders.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I used eDead in my car w/ a layer of Ensolite foam over it. eDead is budget dynomat, worked wonderfully. Total cost for everything to do my car was in the $250 range.

You have to remember that products like Dynomat and eDead are mass dampers... they add mass to a panel to change the resonant frequency of it. They prevent sound waves from moving within a panel.

Then you've got the ensolite foam... this is a sound barrier... it prevents sound from moving through a panel... like directly through on a perpedicular plane. If that makes sense.

The combination of the two works wonders.
I did a quick search on the ensolite foam, is there somewhere locally that would sell it? Or would I have to get it online?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

How much does dynomat weigh?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 AM
(. )( .) & 8====>

Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin'

i think there was a thread on here from a while back where someone used the home depot stuff and found that it was identical to dynamat except that it cost much cheaper.

Quick Reply: Sound Deading Options?