Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Some one school me on car audio speakers

Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn
Default Some one school me on car audio speakers

What is the difference between a nice set of component Speakers and just some reg 6x9's with built in tweeters? The reason I ask is I picked up a set of these about 3 mo ago for $100(pair) and took them out of my last vehicle when I sold it and they have been sitting around the house. I coincidentally picked up a new truck(well picking it up tomm) that has 6x9's from the factory and they will just fit right in place with no mods. My question is would it really make that much of a difference for me to scrap those 6x9's that I have now and get a new set of nice component speakers? I mean I do want QUALITY sound but I'm not trying to win any competitions or anything. Here are the ones(component Speakers) that I like and if I scrap the 6x9's I'm prob going to pick up

And and the vehicle is a 2000 wj limited with factory infinity's and a factory amp
Old 08-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default Re: Some one school me on car audio speakers

component systems take the bass out of the speaker so you just get highs mids IIRC. Regular speaker has bass going through it which can take away from sq I think. I am no expert.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEEEEEERP
component systems take the bass out of the speaker so you just get highs mids IIRC. Regular speaker has bass going through it which can take away from sq I think. I am no expert.
Well its a start. More than I knew
Old 08-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yes, usually components have a high pass crossover so that the midbass driver won't try to go too low in frequency. You can do somewhat of the same thing by using the crossover on the amp that is driving them though. In general components are well matched and are better quality speakers with better frequency rolloff (-12 or -18dB usually) than the single capacitor (-6dB) that comes on something like those 6x9s.

Plus, you can mount the components in much better locations, so you can put the midbass in the door, and midrange and tweeter aimed at you for better quality. Remember that the higher the frequency, the more directional the sound and the easier it is for your brain (via your ears) to figure out where the sound is coming from. So midbass placement is less important than midrange placement, and midrange placement is less important than tweeter replacement.

I have a set of really nice MB Quart components with 8" midbass drivers sitting in the basement. Someday I'll buy an extra set of door panels and cut the hell out of them to fit those huge ass drivers. Maybe make some kickpanels too.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yes, usually components have a high pass crossover so that the midbass driver won't try to go too low in frequency. You can do somewhat of the same thing by using the crossover on the amp that is driving them though. In general components are well matched and are better quality speakers with better frequency rolloff (-12 or -18dB usually) than the single capacitor (-6dB) that comes on something like those 6x9s.

Plus, you can mount the components in much better locations, so you can put the midbass in the door, and midrange and tweeter aimed at you for better quality. Remember that the higher the frequency, the more directional the sound and the easier it is for your brain (via your ears) to figure out where the sound is coming from. So midbass placement is less important than midrange placement, and midrange placement is less important than tweeter replacement.

I have a set of really nice MB Quart components with 8" midbass drivers sitting in the basement. Someday I'll buy an extra set of door panels and cut the hell out of them to fit those huge ass drivers. Maybe make some kickpanels too.
This guy............. You know your shit dude. You are like a tower of info and I just want to say thanks for that! I might go ahead and install my 6x9's and see what happens. If I am not satisfied then I will snatch them out and go high end comp. I will let you know how it turns out. Shit I might even take some pictures. I'm going to go outside right now and get started I think.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

terrible advice has disabled reputation

honestly, if you're going to replace speakers, you should replace the head unit and amp. just cause it's branded infinity from the factory doesn't necessarily make it awesome. the HU typically has some sort of equalization programmed for the factory speakers that is damn near impossible to get rid of. a JL cleansweep MIGHT work, but it depends on which one you get.
https://www.vadriven.com/forums/show....php?t=343013&
has some good info.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

Infinity car audio is mid grade if anything and overpriced for what they provide.

I say go straight for components and amp them. I initially had components solely powered by the HU and thought they were amazing. I finally powered them with an appropriate amp and I was completely blown away. And like they were saying, depending on the crossovers themselves, some component sets provide a good push for midbass. Plus the xovers provide separation of respective freqs to each driver. Don't expect quality lows from anything smaller than an 8" and even some 6.5". You can probably go with a quality 8" or a 10" in a sealed enclosure for the low end set up.

Although my equipment is dated they're still proving their worth.
Eclipse 55090 HU
Crystal SSCS6 components powered by a Planet Audio amp 100x2
SI Mag D2 in a 2cuft box tuned to 32 hz powered by a Hifonics BX1205D (crappy amp )

If you need box design or even a build, I can help. Even a budget with recommendations I can provide.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by itsoverton
honestly, if you're going to replace speakers, you should replace the head unit and amp. just cause it's branded infinity from the factory doesn't necessarily make it awesome. the HU typically has some sort of equalization programmed for the factory speakers that is damn near impossible to get rid of. a JL cleansweep MIGHT work, but it depends on which one you get.
https://www.vadriven.com/forums/show....php?t=343013&
has some good info.
This.

If you're going to replace the speakers, you're going to want to either "clean" the signal from the stock head unit, or replace it. I took a bit of a risk and bought the JL CleanSweep DSP, and couldn't be happier.

If you put good speakers in place of the factory ones, but leave the factory signal to the speakers in place, chances are you're going to be disappointed.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

terrible advice has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Flite
This.

If you're going to replace the speakers, you're going to want to either "clean" the signal from the stock head unit, or replace it. I took a bit of a risk and bought the JL CleanSweep DSP, and couldn't be happier.

If you put good speakers in place of the factory ones, but leave the factory signal to the speakers in place, chances are you're going to be disappointed.
listen to this man, he knows his maths.
i replaced every speaker in my car with JL Evolution C2s, a 10w3, an Alpine PDX-5, and a Pioneer HU. it sounds REALLY good. If you spend the money and do it right, you won't be disappointed. Spend it one time that way you don't have to do it again cause you didn't get what you wanted.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Banned

Damn I have been away from this thread and forgot about it. Thanks for everyone's help! For not I installed the 6x9's in the front doors and bypassed the amp for the 2 front speakers. Like flite said its not really that impressive but they are working now and I'm going to wait on christmas to put some really nice shit in. Thanks for all of the help

Quick Reply: Some one school me on car audio speakers