Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

So why do most tires these days have so much crap on the sidewalls? Thoughts?

Old 04-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default So why do most tires these days have so much crap on the sidewalls? Thoughts?

It never bothered me before that my Kumho Exsta MXs had all kinds of stuff on them, but the BFG KDWs I have on the red car have a very nice sidewall devoid of any crap. All they have on them is BFGoodrich G-force KDW in 2 places and the tire specs etc.... no extra ribs, texture, designs etc. just a nice smooth tire. IMO this looks 100x better than my Kumhos and most all other tires out there.

Any reasoning tires have gone down this road? Anyone have a preference? All in all I think the BGF winds hands down for looks. It takes tire cleaning/dressing very easily and looks great. Trying to clean/dress those Kumhos and get the stuff in all those ribs is a pita.

BFG... notice the sidewall is nice and clean

Kumho... full of ribs, writing and curly-q Korean thingies...

Goodyear Supercars.... too much crap IMO too...

Michelin Pilots... not too bad, but still not like the BFG
Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Registered Member

terrible advice has disabled reputation
Default Re: So why do most tires these days have so much crap on the sidewalls? Thoughts?

in regards to tire dressing, michelin pilots take it best. there is no doubt.

i do enjoy a good clean sidewall though.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 AM
Registered Member

MKIV TT has disabled reputation
Default Re: So why do most tires these days have so much crap on the sidewalls? Thoughts?

ALL NEW Ricer tires!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

the KDW are such a nice looking tire.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

I agree, having sizing info and tire PSIs on a tire are totally dumb. IIRC a tire is symmetrical, with nothing on the back side of it.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

^ That's my point.... they look 1000x better. They may not be the absolute best performance tire in the world, but they make the car and wheels look much better.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Fanboi

Originally Posted by ShawnD
I agree, having sizing info and tire PSIs on a tire are totally dumb. IIRC a tire is symmetrical, with nothing on the back side of it.
Did you miss the point of the thread? I'm not talking about the speed/treadwear/safety ratings or the MFG name etc... I'm talking about all the texutre and "style" added to the sidwall in addition the the required stuff.

And no you're wrong about the backsides of all tires being plain.... most performance tires are the same on both sides.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:18 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Ya I drive a camry...performance what? I don't mind the designs, breaks up an otherwise boring part to a car.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Clean is good. If I wanted advertising all over the sides, I'd be driving in NASCAR.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Fanboi

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
Clean is good. If I wanted advertising all over the sides, I'd be driving in NASCAR.
Maybe that's all it really is.... they can get away with it so they put their logo on bigger and bigger.... I mean it's like clothes.... if you'd told people 100 years ago that today we'd want to walk around as company billboards they'd have thought you were crazy.

The only thing I can really think of for all the texture is abrasion resistance for people that park by rubbing their tires on a curb.

Quick Reply: So why do most tires these days have so much crap on the sidewalls? Thoughts?