Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Silkroad Suspension

Old 11-25-2004, 06:38 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Silkroad Suspension

I am curious if any local people are using their stuff. I am interested but want to experience the ride myself. Any comments or offers to take a ride would be greatly appreciated. This is for a daily driver but also a HPDE car. I have a 92 240SX but I will be able to tell if I like the suspension by experiences with other cars. I was not planning on going that stiff with the springs as the silkroads have but I hear so much good about the ride I would really like to give it a try. I know this is a lot to ask but... Several of the autocrossers know me. I do a lot of suspension work on different cars on the side so I have a good base on knowledge to compare. I would hate to spend 1300 on some coilovers and not be happy in the end.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion
Default Re: Silkroad Suspension

I know I don't need to tell you this, but for the benefit of others, ride quality is more of personal preference and how you set your dampening/ride height/spring rates (depending on which, if not all, are adjustable).

Asides from the fact that if on the rare instance you need to have the Silkroads rebuilt, you'll have to send them out (of the country); I've heard nothing but good reviews about them.

Jesus (the mod of cycle corner) has D2 coilovers on his 240, and asides from being stupidly cheap price-wise (as in under 700 bucks), they are of nice quality and perform well. And they're also dual height adjustable (preload and height), as well as come with camber plate/pillow ball mounts. And with 8/6 springs and the dampening set to full stiff, the ride quality wasn't that bad either.

Just another option to consider.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

I have no experience with silkroad, but I get asked a lot about he JIC setups. I was gonna post a thread similar to this about them. If and when you get your answers Steve, be sure to post them up here as I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

JIC = cock.

Asides from being overpriced, their US customer service is horrible on a legendary scale (there are plenty o' stories), and in general, can be outperformed by cheaper setups. There are also quality issues that you can go google.

Everything they make can be had for a lot cheaper from other companies (like control arms).
Old 11-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

JIC is not a good option it seems due to a variety of issues.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:44 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

Please post your findings on suspensions

I just recently bought a 93 240 and unlike my Honda, it seems like you can't get as good of performance out of cheaper suspension.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Am I kawaii? Uguu~

Lawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these partsLawlercaust is infamous around these parts

D2s, plain and simple. I've rode in cars with Tein, Silkroad, and D2s... I can say I like the overall feel of the D2s and the drivers say the same things. Especially with how cheap they can be found, and like Pat said, the dual height adjustability rules.

D2s
Old 11-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

Please do not talk about D2's to me. Not interested. Silkroad is a option. So is TEIN. But I am pretty familiar with TEIN. Never been in a Silkroad car.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:56 PM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

I like my tanabe coilovers. Haven't heard a lot about silkroad, but I like the name
Old 11-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

Originally Posted by Carter
I like my tanabe coilovers. Haven't heard a lot about silkroad, but I like the name
Which do you have? They are also on my short list.

Quick Reply: Silkroad Suspension