Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Short Shifters

Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation
Default Short Shifters

I've heard good and bad things about them. I've heard people say they can be detrimental to your transmission and I've heard people say they cause no problems and they love them. I don't know if said people were referring to short shift adapters or complete kits that replace the stock shifter assembly.

I just ordered a full replacement one for my car, so i was wondering what people think about them and if there are negative issues. I've never had one on any of my previous cars.

Last edited by IRR0MPIBLE; 07-23-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:31 PM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC
Default Re: Short Shifters

As long as you install it properly and set the stop bolts, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. People that don't know how to install them properly and proceed to rip through gears can damage a tranny with one.

As long as you put it in right, they will help to preserve your tranny. There is nothing wrong with them at all.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

A shifter is one of the most used things in a car and to be honest with you, I have yet to shift a stock shifter that has felt worth a shit. Aftermarket shifters also spare the transmission's shift forks from being bent due to hard shifting because they have "shift stops", something not found in most stock shifter. You'll be happy with your purchase.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the input guys i appreciate it

i drive like a grandma, so i definitely don't think i have anything to worry about.....and the install looks fairly simple, from what i saw of it...
Old 07-23-2006, 07:19 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
...set the stop bolts...
Originally Posted by XCELR8
...they have "shift stops"...
This really doesn't apply to Hondas.

You'll basically just be replacing the stock shifter with an aftermarket unit with a different leverage point. You may have new bushings depending on the shifter you bought. Installation should be pretty much take the old one out and put the new one in.

The main concern with short shifters in Hondas is the fact that the increased effort and a newfound fondness for faster shifting can prematurely wear out your synchros. As long as you don't bang through the gears all the time you won't speed up wear significantly.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:02 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

make sure to buy the highest quality one for your car.

my cobra had the shittiest shifter
Old 07-23-2006, 09:05 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by dave22
This really doesn't apply to Hondas.

You'll basically just be replacing the stock shifter with an aftermarket unit with a different leverage point. You may have new bushings depending on the shifter you bought. Installation should be pretty much take the old one out and put the new one in.

The main concern with short shifters in Hondas is the fact that the increased effort and a newfound fondness for faster shifting can prematurely wear out your synchros. As long as you don't bang through the gears all the time you won't speed up wear significantly.
Ditto, I was thinking the exact same thing.

And if they make a shifter bushing kit for your car, get one.

edit*, your car is new, your bushings are probably still good.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all the replies. you guys are awesome.

i got a revo shifter....i wouldn't be surprised if you've never heard of it, because i don't know that they make them for any other applications than 01-05 civics....it seems to be the most popular option over on the 7th gen civic board....it doesn't come with bushings, but i've found some aluminum replacement bushings for the rubber ones that hold the shifter assembly to the chassis...i've heard good things about the quality of combining these with the shifter...