Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Seized Coilover?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Hellafunctional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93
Default Seized Coilover?

Alright, so I was attempting to lower my H&R coilovers:
Picture for reference:

So I have all 4 off of my car and they are all seized up. I have searched all over the internet and couldn't find anything that has worked. I have soaked them in PB Blaster and got a one bottom ring/collar (whatever you want to call it) to go down, but I could not get the upper collar to move down. Currently I have one sitting in a bucket of oil to try that one out. I just put one in some vice and put a spanner wrench on it, attached a breaker bar and couldn't get anything also. Any other ideas?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93
Default Re: Seized Coilover?

Also, I read somewhere to heat it up with a torch. That sounds kind of risky to do with everything inside of the coilover. So, would heating with blow dryer be any good? Or would that just be useless?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:15 PM
OCD Fag.

Brandons96 Brandons96 Brandons96 Brandons96 Brandons96 Brandons96 Brandons96 Brandons96 Brandons96 Brandons96 Brandons96

The idea of heating a bolt (or nut in your case) is to expand the metal and break up any type of rust or bond that is between it and the threads. I really don't think a blow dryer will be able to get the metal hot enough to expand.. Also, fluid expands when it's heated, definitely don't recommend heating anything anywhere near the tube of the shock, because small bomb.

Keep trying PB blaster and some purple cleaner, you might get lucky.

Last edited by Brandons96; 05-12-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Take the helper springs out. Youll be low and don't have to adjust them.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

a blow dryer would be useless. maybe try a small propane torch from autozone, itll get hot but i doubt itll get hot enough to cause any internal damage
Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 PM
YANKYMATE!

lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft

DO NOT USE A TORCH TO HEAT THE COILOVER.

If you do, chances are that the contents of the shock absorber will explode violently in your face. Soak that shit in PB Blaster, use a wire brush to clean ALL the threads of ALL contaminants, and use a hammer + chisel/flathead screwdriver to break the collars loose. Then use the spanner wrench to turn them to their desired location.

Trust me, I've done this way too many times with way too many different brands and styles of coilovers.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Tonight... You!

07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec

It seems to me that it's possible that your springs are way overloaded. In other words, even with the weight of the car not being a factor, the spring has expanded (like springs do) but is still compressed somewhat and pushing against that collar/ring. If the above mentioned doesn't work, I'd suggest renting a spring compressor (or going to a shop that does springs and such) to complress teh spring more and then trying to turn the upper nut/collar/ring/whatever. If this isn't anywhere near the cause then... my bad. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Hellafunctional

Originally Posted by GATOR
Take the helper springs out. Youll be low and don't have to adjust them.
Do they serve a purpose? Will it ride worse/better? Any downfall to it?

Originally Posted by lbs_ft
DO NOT USE A TORCH TO HEAT THE COILOVER.

If you do, chances are that the contents of the shock absorber will explode violently in your face. Soak that shit in PB Blaster, use a wire brush to clean ALL the threads of ALL contaminants, and use a hammer + chisel/flathead screwdriver to break the collars loose. Then use the spanner wrench to turn them to their desired location.

Trust me, I've done this way too many times with way too many different brands and styles of coilovers.
That's what I've been doing, but have had little progress at all with it. And yeah, I wasn't really for heating that, seems way too sketchy haha.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:58 PM
YANKYMATE!

lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft

Originally Posted by Garrett93
Do they serve a purpose? Will it ride worse/better? Any downfall to it?
Gator don't play no shit.

Originally Posted by Garrett93
That's what I've been doing, but have had little progress at all with it. And yeah, I wasn't really for heating that, seems way too sketchy haha.
Patience. H&R are the real deal, you don't want to mess them up. I had a set and I ran into the same issue you're having. Just keep it up and keep us updated.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Hellafunctional

Originally Posted by lbs_ft
Patience. H&R are the real deal, you don't want to mess them up. I had a set and I ran into the same issue you're having. Just keep it up and keep us updated.
Yeah, I know. It's just so damn time consuming.

Quick Reply: Seized Coilover?