Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

sandblast polished lips?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 PM
10th planet student

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSX240 has disabled reputation
Default sandblast polished lips?

ok so i bought some used wheels im fixing up but the old paint is hard to get off, im about to get the wheels sandblasted.they have a 3in lip. should i also do the lips and reclear them ? is it too much of a pain in the ass? cuz the clear is coming off anyways.basically what im asking is wtf is on the lips that makes them shiny, anything i have to worry about if i wanna make them shine later on ?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:15 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: sandblast polished lips?

should have just asked....

when they are blasted it takes it back to raw aluminum...in order to make them shine you will have to sand with diffrent grits of paper all the way to 2000 grit then buff the shit out of them with diffrent types of rougue...it will take about 8 hours a rim to repolish the lips...they are a pain in the ass to polish blasted aluminum.

imagine how hard it is to polish a already polished surface and multiply it by about 100
Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
10th planet student

LSX240 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by nftuatn
should have just asked....

when they are blasted it takes it back to raw aluminum...in order to make them shine you will have to sand with diffrent grits of paper all the way to 2000 grit then buff the shit out of them with diffrent types of rougue...it will take about 8 hours a rim to repolish the lips...they are a pain in the ass to polish blasted aluminum.

imagine how hard it is to polish a already polished surface and multiply it by about 100
damn, ok so its def a go for the sandblasting, hooray ! well im in no hurry to get these things on so i have time to polish, i gotta send some off to get fixed either way. thanks for the help
Old 01-03-2009, 06:21 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

n/p
Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you get them media blasted instead of sand blasted, you'll have a lot less problems with the aluminum getting abraded. I would suggest stripping the clearcoat chemically with some sort of automotive or aircraft paint stripper; you should be able to polish them to perfection after that (assuming you don't use metal tools during the stripping process) and then clearcoat them. The rest of the wheel can be blasted somewhere during that process, or just stripped at the same time. The lips can be masked during blasting, depending on what you're planning on doing.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Function > Form

RobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you get them media blasted instead of sand blasted, you'll have a lot less problems with the aluminum getting abraded. I would suggest stripping the clearcoat chemically with some sort of automotive or aircraft paint stripper; you should be able to polish them to perfection after that (assuming you don't use metal tools during the stripping process) and then clearcoat them. The rest of the wheel can be blasted somewhere during that process, or just stripped at the same time. The lips can be masked during blasting, depending on what you're planning on doing.
+rep

Definitely do this, its the easiest way. If your only problem with the lips is clear coat, then just strip them and redo the clear coat. After thats done you can choose to blast or strip the centers.