Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Right Hand Drive?

Old 05-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Right Hand Drive?

Ok i havent looked this up or anything i was figuring some guru on here could tell me this....

Why dont they (european,japanese..ect.) just bring what they have over here? Why is there a need to "spec" it down and then make it left hand drive? I know emissions is one for the spec down... but whats up with the right hand drive cars going to left hand?
Old 05-06-2003, 08:55 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

Because things have always been LHD oriented in the US, and changing it to RHD wouldn't be cost efficient, as many, many, many things would have to be replaced.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:56 PM
registered derp

lolololol has disabled reputation

yeah, like 95 percent of the population brains of the entire fuckin country
Old 05-06-2003, 09:11 PM
emmett18

94b18c1 has disabled reputation

Originally posted by SuBjecT_X2
yeah, like 95 percent of the population brains of the entire fuckin country
98%
Old 05-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Master of Doom

Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor Vigor

In cars with left handed shifters, how are the gears generally set up? I mean, is 1st gear still towards the driver and higher gears more towards the passenger?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally posted by Vigor
In cars with left handed shifters, how are the gears generally set up? I mean, is 1st gear still towards the driver and higher gears more towards the passenger?
yeah, and the pedals are in the same order. They would have to change more than just exhuast. The need to change the headlights so they shine on the shoulder, 5mph bumpers, things with wirring i'm sure (like yellow being the universal air-bag color). They're are tons more i'm sure.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

They would basically have to change emissions and safety equipment, which can be all sorts of things.

Lights, mirrors, bumpers, chassis reinforcements... think of all the crap that MotorEx had to go throught to legalize Skylines. It was apparently such a PITA that most of what they did to make it pass is secret.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:57 AM
Banned

Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

well also there no point of having right drive cars... they have those because only about 3-5% of the world drive on the left side of the road....but also i would just rather have the engien specs... 225hp stock for me with 8 psi.... but also england i thnk is the only that drives on the left sdie fo the raod in europe..
Old 05-07-2003, 05:34 AM
Registered Member

Not_Blazin is an unknown quantity at this point

i was considering bringing back a Euro Spec Type R accord from Germany, when i lived there... But i was told That i would have to do sumthin bout the emissions, put reinforcements in the doors, change sumthin wid the headlights(?).... and a bunch of other stuff... The honda dealer there estimated more than few thousand. The Euro 4dr Type R Accord was going for like 44,000 DM back then (around $20-22,000)... That shit did look nice tho, i regret not getting it. And the steering wheel is on the same side as over here....
Old 05-07-2003, 06:35 AM

stirpicult is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Vigor
no, gears are positioned the exact same...odd isnt it. pedals are the same. ignition key is still on the right. everything remains the same, just on the other side.

Quick Reply: Right Hand Drive?