VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Restoring Ls mesh wheels (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/restoring-ls-mesh-wheels-482674/)

MUFF_DIVER 03-27-2014 02:03 PM

Restoring Ls mesh wheels

Sup guys I am taking on another project. I recently traded for some LS mesh wheels that are not in the best condition. They have plasti dip and paint on them. I need to know what paint thinner and polish I can use to make them look semi-fresh. I don't want to hurt the alloy but I want to make then shiny. I just need to know what chemicals are safe to use. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also of anybody has center caps let me know https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater link is for further reference on the condition

ej1995 03-27-2014 05:34 PM

Re: Restoring Ls mesh wheels

Strip them completely and polish them...

MUFF_DIVER 03-27-2014 06:01 PM

What Polish can I use?

Fabrik8 03-27-2014 08:12 PM

You'll need to sand out any surface flaws or casting texture, etc., so you have a level base for the polishing. There are a lot of metal polishes you can use, you'll probably want something like a rouge compound or Tripoli on a cotton buffs on a die grinder to get in between the spokes. Polishing it the first time and keeping it maintained are two different things, so do a little research there also. Or, you could get them painted or powdercoated after polishing, they won't be as shiny but they'll be a lot easier to care for.

Or, you could get them powdercoated silver or chrome. Again, not as shiny but super easy.

If you want to remove the existing paint, use an aircraft paint stripper. There are some gentle ones on the market that are a lot safer than they used to be...

MUFF_DIVER 03-27-2014 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8275020)
You'll need to sand out any surface flaws or casting texture, etc., so you have a level base for the polishing. There are a lot of metal polishes you can use, you'll probably want something like a rouge compound or Tripoli on a cotton buffs on a die grinder to get in between the spokes. Polishing it the first time and keeping it maintained are two different things, so do a little research there also. Or, you could get them painted or powdercoated after polishing, they won't be as shiny but they'll be a lot easier to care for.

Or, you could get them powdercoated silver or chrome. Again, not as shiny but super easy.

If you want to remove the existing paint, use an aircraft paint stripper. There are some gentle ones on the market that are a lot safer than they used to be...

Super helpful I bought the aircraft stripper today. I got a extra mesh wheel that is full of paint so I am going to practice on that. Well paint removal on the rim. Some guy thought it was a good idea to spray paint it white for some reaSon. The way I see it I will try and get them shiny enough so I can trade them for some fat fives or blades. I want them to look nice meanwhile tho. I am just trying to be as careful as possible and want to do it the right way the first time so I don't make any mistakes. I always tend to do research before I take on a project like this. I am a first time rim shiner I've always had steelies on my cars so I am trying to do this the best I can. Any other tips and tricks are appreciated

Fabrik8 03-28-2014 05:55 AM

If no one sanded them before painting, you should be fairly good good to go once the old paint is off, if you just want to trade them. Polishing is almost entirely labor, so its up to you whether you want to invest a lot of time polishing before trading them.

quenepon69 03-28-2014 07:42 AM

I had a set that I used the aircraft paint remover, then I bead blasted them, acid etched, and alodine. After that I painted the inside Polyurethane Black and polish the lip. It took a couple of days but they came out great. I have a pic on my album.

Fabrik8 03-28-2014 08:59 AM

Did you use the chromium free Alodine, or did you use the regular stuff and ignore the chromium VI exposure and disposal? Hexavalent chromium isn't your friend.

quenepon69 03-28-2014 02:02 PM

I did it at my work, I work in an aircraft facility and they have a Alodine bath.

MUFF_DIVER 03-28-2014 06:34 PM

Well because of the weather I didint get a chance to do anything but I got some alloy rim cleaner from Walmart and a lot of the stuff wrong with it is mainly break dust and old dirt because previous owner did not keep up with the maintanamce on them. I still am looking to polish them but right now I am going to see how they come out when all the dirt and stuff is gone. If they are not too bad a shape I will probably get a basic polish from advanced or autozone. I saw some bottles there for rim polish but I kinda am thinking twice because they will be painted bronze in the future so I guess a minor cleanup and detail on the rims will do for now and just keep them clean. Just got to see how they are going to look once I deep clean them and strip the paint.