Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Reccos for used truck/SUV?

Old 12-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Atheist.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker
Default Reccos for used truck/SUV?

I am looking to buy a used truck or SUV (not fullsize) for all-purpose driving (daily) and travelling.

Please post your suggestions (or warnings) and feedback.
Imports preferred over cheap American-made crap.

Requirements:
- early 90's or later
- 6 cylinders
- $4000 or less
- basic comforts like power windows, locks, steering
- somewhat appealing to the eye

Please post the 'years' of the vehicle you refer to. Thanks!

FYI...I was looking at Nissan Pathfinders, but read about their horrible rollover rate.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:28 PM
//

theJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these parts

you can find '98 explorers for around 4k now-a-days. have you looked into those?
Old 12-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

AIMGOS! or a jeep sport. from all those recals and accidents with the explorers i dont trust them at all, how about a blazer.

id looks into
jeep
rodeo/amigo
blazer
Old 12-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

I like Amigos; they'd be cool in the summer especially. Does it get abnormally cold inside those in the winter (with the soft back/top)?

Haven't really looked at Explorers, because they're MADE BY FORD. But are they an exception to Ford's ultra-cheap standards in autocrafting?

I've been looking at Isuzu Troopers too. Anybody have experience w/ those?
Old 12-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Originally posted by theJUMPoff
you can find '98 explorers for around 4k now-a-days. have you looked into those?
haha There is a reason for that.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Atheist.

Oh yeah, 4x4 preferred...to survive the harsh NoVA winters.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:49 PM
//

theJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these parts

Originally posted by 0psi
haha There is a reason for that.
ha, very true.

if you decide on an explorer, make sure u find out if the owner had all the recalls performed. I mean ford SUV's arent too bad, my mom's Expedition worked great before someone totalled it, she bought it new back in '98.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

the troopers have a worse rollover rate than the pathys. i dont know about the cold for the amigos though, there are some hardtops, id talk to someone with a wrangler and see what they say about the winters
Old 12-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

1) Nissan hardbody (it's a Nissan, you know Nissan )
2) Toyota Pick Up
Old 12-18-2003, 08:56 AM
OG from 2000

SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94

I just bought a 98 Explorer. Find one with the 4.0 SOHC engine which has as much power as the 5.0 V8 w/o the poor gas mileage or ins cost. Under 4 grand you say? Get a Jeep Cherokee 4.0. The engines are bullet proof and the 4x4 setup is strong.