Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Rebuilding a D16Y8

Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 AM
NAZI mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Re: Rebuiling a D16Y8

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Nunya, my VTEC resevoir cracked. Do you sell the resevoirs too or just the fluid? The dealer makes you buy the whole VTEC, you can't purchase the resevoir seperately...
i HAVE A SPARE JDM VTEC RESIVOIR PM ME
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Nunya, my VTEC resevoir cracked. Do you sell the resevoirs too or just the fluid? The dealer makes you buy the whole VTEC, you can't purchase the resevoir seperately...
Dang, that blows. Gotta hate it when you run out of VTEC fluid. You should try to get that JDM reservoir from DonkeyPunch, I heard they hold more fluid than the POS USDM one.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 AM
Registered Member

thegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these parts

ok so i gotta queston what is the main difference between forged pistons and hypereutectic type pistons i have googled it and still dont understand the main difference besides the way they are made (sorry if i am ranting still waking up)
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

hypereutectic is just talking about the alloy that pistons are made of. Aluminum expands faster than iron when heated up, so most companies add silicon to the alloy composition to better restrict the expansion and prevent binding in the cylinder bore.

Forging is a procedure to make pistons. Just know that forging is better than casting and can usually tolerate more abuse.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by thegrant
ok so i gotta queston what is the main difference between forged pistons and hypereutectic type pistons i have googled it and still dont understand the main difference besides the way they are made (sorry if i am ranting still waking up)
Hypereutectic pistons are an alloy with higher silicon content than standard cast pistons. They're stronger and lower thermal expansion than standard cast pistons. Forged pistons are stronger, and more expensive. For what you're doing, there really isn't any reason to spend money on forged pistons because you'll never need the strength.

If you're just doing a mild rebuild, why aren't you reusing the stock pistons?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

thegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Hypereutectic pistons are an alloy with higher silicon content than standard cast pistons. They're stronger and lower thermal expansion than standard cast pistons. Forged pistons are stronger, and more expensive. For what you're doing, there really isn't any reason to spend money on forged pistons because you'll never need the strength.

If you're just doing a mild rebuild, why aren't you reusing the stock pistons?
i niced a slight crack in the number 3 piston and i dont want it to get worse so i thought it would be a good idea to replace them all while im this far into it.

Last edited by thegrant; 10-26-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: i ment to say piston
Old 10-26-2012, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

There's only one way to keep a crack in the piston from getting worse. The trash heap.

If you want stock performance, toss in a set of OE pistons and call it a day.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by thegrant
i niced a slight crack in the number 3 piston and i dont want it to get worse so i thought it would be a good idea to replace them all while im this far into it.
There are huge amounts of used stock pistons out there for cheap for single cam engines, so try that route before buying new ones. Unless you're planning on changing compression ratio or bore size, etc...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Re: Rebuilding a D16Y8

or stop messing with shitty hondas.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Default Re: Rebuilding a D16Y8

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
There are huge amounts of used stock pistons out there for cheap for single cam engines, so try that route before buying new ones. Unless you're planning on changing compression ratio or bore size, etc...
alright i was just curious on the differrences

Originally Posted by DonkeyPunch
or stop messing with shitty hondas.
this just be a daily i got a 1998 f150 that is the projectt

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a D16Y8