VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Re-painting my s2000, stay stock or no? (Poll inside) (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/re-painting-my-s2000-stay-stock-no-poll-inside-456923/)

WALL-E 11-05-2012 12:38 PM

Re-painting my s2000, stay stock or no? (Poll inside)

I recently bought a 02 s2000 with higher miles, the body had a few dings; and it needed the front bumper/fender repaired. I went ahead and got the fender fixed, and put on a ap2 bumper. All the dents have been taken out, and entire car is sanded. Here is my dilemma, I am getting the whole car re-sprayed because there was a bit of oxidation on hood/trunk lid, and after taking minor dings out on numerous spots; a re-shoot would do the car proper justice.

I was originally gonna just respray it suzuka blue again, but im contemplating going with a darker blue. My problem is, I can not get the jambs and engine bay, etc. sprayed, and it would have to be done on a later date; if that.

If you had the option of having the whole car re-sprayed, would you go with a darker blue and have light blue jambs/engine bay/trunk trim? The car is getting supercharged, slammed on coilovers, and has higher miles; so im not worried about re-sale value, etc. It'll sell for the SAME value either painted stock, or with unpainted jambs, etc. Part of me is a stickler for perfection, and I know inside it will bother me for not being done "properly"; the other part of me says "fuck it", its a 10 year old Honda with 170+k on the body, its modified, and paid off. The fuck am I ever gonna look at the door jambs or engine bay when im inside the car, or everything is closed up and its parked?

I just always wanted a nice dark navy blue metallic s2000. I have the blue interior, so its gotta be some kind of blue shade on the outside to look decent. Feel free to share ideas, and colors you might want to go with if you had the choice. I have 1-2 days before I have to buy the paint.

Thanks for any advice!

BAN HAMMER 11-05-2012 12:44 PM

Re: Re-painting my s2000, stay stock or no? (Poll inside)

Why wouldnt the jambs be able to be painted at the same time as the car?

SlvrSpec 11-05-2012 12:47 PM

If you're going to paint the car a different color, either paint the whole car (door jambs, engine bay, etc) or don't do it at all and paint it the stock color. Do it right the first time.

EF_LOVE 11-05-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by SlvrSpec (Post 7983531)
If you're going to paint the car a different color, either paint the whole car (door jambs, engine bay, etc) or don't do it at all and paint it the stock color. Do it right the first time.

X2

WALL-E 11-05-2012 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by DonkeyPunch (Post 7983528)
Why wouldnt the jambs be able to be painted at the same time as the car?

My body shop guy doesn't have any extra time for the prep work involved, on a very tight schedule; car is literally sitting in paint booth awaiting my decision on paint.

Originally Posted by SlvrSpec (Post 7983531)

Ugh, I beg to differ. If I could get the door jambs and trunk trim painted, I would have ZERO issues about leaving a engine bay Suzuka blue. If I go with a custom color, ill more likely be inclined to keep the car; and in that case, motor would eventually get pulled and could be sprayed than. Its the bay, so it would be super easy to just spray it the same color as outside, no blending anything involved.

The jambs, etc; can't really be done again without showing tape lines. Sigh......I might just talk him into doing the jambs and trunk trim. If I can get it done within a few hundred bucks, ill do it; but can't afford to spend $3K+ on doing a complete color change.

Harold_Fastwake 11-05-2012 02:12 PM

Just re spray, Suzuka blue is awesome color.

WALL-E 11-05-2012 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Harold_Fastwake (Post 7983630)
Just re spray, Suzuka blue is awesome color.

That's what I am leaning towards, I'd rather have it done right and not rush something like a full color change. If it is fucked up, car will never sell with the amount of money I'll have in it.

Only reason I was contemplating a color change was because my last s2000 was suzuka, and I always wanted a BMW navy blue on a Honda. Honda has no good navy blue paints to talk about. Its not the end of the world for me, because I love Suzuka blue also. It was my #1 choice for colors, as far as stock s2000's go, so I'll live with it.

Think my decision has been made. Thanks guys!

dartonh22 11-05-2012 02:44 PM

Id go with the blue from the newer s2k's laguna blue pearl i think.

POS DSM 11-05-2012 03:43 PM

Respray Suzuka.

With some colors you can kind of get away without painting the bay and jams. Say if you maybe painted a silver car red or something.....but not light blue. Suzuka blue is a great color in my opinion anyways and a pretty rare one at that.

jwbjsv 11-05-2012 04:46 PM

I also have Suzuka blue ap1 on fortune auto coilovers and have a turbo kit waiting to go on:p but been thinking about doing the same exact thing. A lot of people don't like the color or don't really appreciate it I guess but I love it so keep it, slam it and boost it!!!