Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The ratchet and socket opinions thread...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: The ratchet and socket opinions thread...

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
These...
Those are the massively heavy ones I was talking about. They're quite a paperweight. The manufacturing quality looked horribly inconsistent too. I looked at four of them on the same store peg and the handles were all slightly different. I know that's mostly cosmetic but it doesn't speak well to their manufacturing quality.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-19-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

The new Craftsman Premium Rachets are very nice and quite competitive with most truck brands. They are also 84 teeth....

Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by travisnd
The new Craftsman Premium Rachets are very nice and quite competitive with most truck brands. They are also 84 teeth....
Those are the other massively heavy ones. What happened to making tools easy to use by making them lighter, not heavier?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

I jumped ship from C-man a while ago. For smaller stuff, I actually find myself using Duralast. Their ergonomics seem to be really good for the price point. For the more commonly used stuff (ratchets, etc), I've been building a Stanley Proto set. Same warranty, but feels great, and I can beat the hell out of them. Their sockets/ratchets/impact stuff are bar-none the best (IMHO)

Last edited by RandomTask; 11-19-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 AM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

If weight is a big concern..maybe the Gearwrench ratchets? I've got the ratchets Brian pictures as well as the ones I showed and I've also got the Gearwrench ratchets below which are nice too. Though my favorate are the Craftsman Premium....really nice solid handle.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Son of a bitch... now you have me wanting new ratchets that I don't need. Didn't even know C-man had introduced a new Premium model.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Proto Quick Releases are phenomenal ;

http://www.stanleyproto.com/xhtml/LI...SE_RATCHET.PDF
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

I forgot to put it in my other post. This thread on GarageJournal is what got me interested in the Nepros tool line.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ghlight=nepros
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

personally i use Snap-On for ratchets/sockets for work and Craftsman for sockets that stay at home. I can't use Craftsman ratchets, though. Far, far too shitty.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I'll look into those and the Nepros stuff. I like collecting tools from different brands so I'll check out them out.

As a bit of give-and-take for the ratchet suggestions, if you're in the market for screwdrivers I'd really suggest trying Wera and Wiha screwdrivers. They're amazing. I know how you like German stuff (with a little Czech manufacturing thrown in I believe).
Wera is Czech, Wiha is German. I have both for tiny screwdrivers. I think I like the Wiha more, but they're equally good in my book, just different.
For full size I have Wiha and Felo. I vastly prefer the Felo. It's not that Wiha is bad, but MB uses Felo, and MB makes their own hardware, and nothing fits an MB phillips head like a Felo screwdriver.

Quick Reply: The ratchet and socket opinions thread...