Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Quick question

Old 10-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hottxhandles23 has disabled reputation
Default Quick question

I was told to leave my manuel car in first gear. I just couldn't figure out why? Anybody want to clear that up for me? thank you
Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Registered member

driveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question

to stop it from rolling when you park....?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
PoNtEeN4

Henryx33 has disabled reputation

If you live on a hill then its recomended. You really dont need to though. I just use my E(parking) brake.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Registered member

driveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond repute

ive heard the e-brake spring can strech out an eventually not work, but i've also heard that parking in 1st an letting your car roll onto the gear when it's off is bad for it to? I'm kind of inbetween right now on what to do..
Old 10-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

hottxhandles23 has disabled reputation

Would you say majority of manuel driver leave their car in first gear?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Registered member

To be honest i'm not sure.. I know alot of people that do both. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine either way.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:46 PM
UNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCE

boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband

Originally Posted by driveitright
ive heard the e-brake spring can strech out an eventually not work, but i've also heard that parking in 1st an letting your car roll onto the gear when it's off is bad for it to? I'm kind of inbetween right now on what to do..
This is true. The spring will 'stretch out', but there's an adjustment knob so that you can tighten it back up again, which is probably recommened to do about every 6 months or so.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Registered member

So what up 1st gear parking? Bad for the tranny?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

QuickV6 has disabled reputation

I just use the E-brake and have never had a problem, If i leave it in first i have in the past forgot it was in gear because i never do that and stalled the car because it was in gear.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

i put mine in 1st and pull the ebrake.

i dont see why this is bad for the car

Quick Reply: Quick question