Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Porsche Help

Old 04-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Autophobic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud of
Default Porsche Help

Im not going to list a bunch of Porshces and ask you guys to pick one. What I am going to ask is if the air cooled Porsches were more beneficial to have than the coolant-cooled motors they switched to? Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality
Default Re: Porsche Help

lol

edit: what exactly are you asking? Was the air-cooling in the 1972 911 more beneficial for the performance/longevity/sexiness/porschiness of the car than the water-cooled later models? no, but there is more to it.

I don't think that's what you're looking for but really... what do you want to know?

The old ones are a lot of fun The 914 can still be had fairly inexpensively and it's a great mid-engined ride.

Last edited by Priestiality; 04-05-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: lol
Old 04-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Autophobic

CivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by idkfa
lol

edit: what exactly are you asking? Was the air-cooling in the 1972 911 more beneficial for the performance/longevity/sexiness/porschiness of the car than the water-cooled later models? no, but there is more to it.

I don't think that's what you're looking for but really... what do you want to know?

The old ones are a lot of fun The 914 can still be had fairly inexpensively and it's a great mid-engined ride.
FYI, the last year Porsche used a air cooled motor was in 1998. Im just trying to get a Porsche experts' opinion on the pros and cons of the air cooled vs. liquid cooled motors.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Registered member

dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc

I don't see any benefit. I'm all about a white 997 though.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 PM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot

the best porsches built are water cooled. some great and classic porsches were aircooled. its all in what model you like. the air cooled ones were great and the water cooled ones are great.
oh and my personal favorite budget porsches are all front engine water cooled so i would recommend one of those.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

Originally Posted by CivicDuty
FYI, the last year Porsche used a air cooled motor was in 1998. Im just trying to get a Porsche experts' opinion on the pros and cons of the air cooled vs. liquid cooled motors.
Gotcha.

Not an expert but in the older air-cooled circles the benefit was a less complicated system and fewer things that could break. Heat was always the biggest worry of getting more power out of the AC flat-6 (that and snap oversteer) so making sure the oil cooler got plenty of fresh, cool air was paramount.

In the more recent years emission laws have become stricter and it had become increasingly harder to improve performance with the less efficient air-cooled design while staying within regulations. Obviously this system is more efficient so it really comes down to what you want out of the car.

Parts are expensive
Old 04-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

ApproachingZero has disabled reputation

Air cooled are classics, but can become a headache.

I would get a 944 Turbo or a 928 GTS.

the 928's are still really expensive but they are over engineered.... The 944 handles like it is on rails. Beware of cracked dashboards and blown headgaskets......

No matter what have some big $$$$ left over after the purchase.