Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Pontiac Fiero

Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dempsey88 has disabled reputation
Default Pontiac Fiero

There's a gold pontiac fiero down the road from me, it's been for sale for a while, and I'm not going to lie it looks nice.
I haven't stopped by to see it, but I'm going to today, but I was wondering what you all thought?
I currently own a 1990 Buick Lesabre, which is just fine for a commuter car, but not as sporty or nice as I'd like.
So I figured if they're selling the fiero for cheap enough I could try to get it.
I don't know what year it is, but I will take some pictures with my camera phone and upload them later tonight!
Tell me what you think!
I already know if it's earlier than 87 I should probably steer clear because of a bunch of older problems.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: Pontiac Fiero

Not really, stay away from the '84's is what you should be doing and I'm pretty sure they didn't make them in gold in '84. Is it a GT or an SE? If you wanna drive another for comparison, you're welcome to take out my '88. The 4 banger dukes netted anywhere between 30-38mpg, and the GT's in the mid 20's. If you need someone to look at it for you too, lemme know.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

A lot of people say they're problem ridden, is that true?
But on wikipedia it was said that a lot of GM parts can replace fiero parts, is that true too?
Where abouts do you live? I'm going to check it out today, from reference pictures i'd say it's an 85 or 88, can't tell because I drive past it at 60mph every day :-P
Old 01-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

If its a fastback, its '86 or newer. They're 20 year old cars, and they have the same problems other 20 year old cars have, so no, they're not problem ridden. The car was pretty much made from parts of a bunch of other cars so yes, a LOT of parts are interchangeable. On the peninsula, where abouts is this car located, quite possible I know the owner.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered member

Oh, and the '88s had a completely different rear suspension making them handle a LOT better, thats why the '88s are more desirable.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

It's in Central VA :-P
In a little town called Waynesboro.
But I heard if the suspension in the 88's goes out it's very difficult to find and replace.
But let's say if I do get it, what would you recommend to replace down the line to improve reliability.
The car would have to get me back and forth to work (less than 3 miles), back and forth to school (30 miles), and back and forth to northern virginia (150mi but only every other week)
Is there things I should be looking for? Things that I should stay away from? Like high mileage etc.?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by dempsey88
It's in Central VA :-P
In a little town called Waynesboro.
But I heard if the suspension in the 88's goes out it's very difficult to find and replace.
But let's say if I do get it, what would you recommend to replace down the line to improve reliability.
The car would have to get me back and forth to work (less than 3 miles), back and forth to school (30 miles), and back and forth to northern virginia (150mi but only every other week)
Is there things I should be looking for? Things that I should stay away from? Like high mileage etc.?
I actually got a ticket in Waynesboro. The suspension just doesn’t ‘go out’ short of rusting out or wear parts. All poly bushings can be had for $100 for instance. A high mileage car is a high mileage car, stuff will need to be replaced more often. Some things to check are 1.) rust – pull out the right side of the trunk carpet and check for rust there. Its almost a given there will be rust will also be around the battery tray. Look under the car and look for rusted bolts and such. 2.) CEL (Check engine light)- find out why its on. You don’t need a computer to find out why, go to www.fiero.nl for the guide on how to. Make sure its running well, with good oil pressure and no weird noises. Make sure you let the car warm up and run for 15 min to check as some codes can pop up later. Unless its been worked on the suspension will most likely be loose (need new bushings – 20 yo rubber kinda falls apart) Parts are a lot less expensive than your average honda but at the same time, engine upgrades are virtually nill.(the 2.5 4 banger is a boat anchor and the 2.8 really isn’t the best for aftermarket) Usually (as I have) you swap out for a different motor like a SBC (it will fit), a 3800 SC out of a Pontiac Grand prix, a 3400 DOHC, a Northstar, or a plethora of other options. To keep it reliable, don’t beat the piss out of it, and change the oil. Like I said, check out fiero.nl as it’s a huge community. For aftermarket and making it more sport, ideally you want an ’88 GT 5 speed. They have the best of everything. The 4 banger 5 speeds were isuzu transmissions and are weak for any swap. All automatics are Th125’s and are garunteed to grenade the minute you put 50hp above stock on them. The 4 bangers are HORRIBLE motors for speed unless you want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to get a “super duty” which is nearly impossible to find and still and aftermarket engine.

Just some sites to check out;

www.fiero.nl
www.realfierotech.com
www.clubgp.com
www.fastfieros.com

Google up some videos on 3800 fieros and northstar fieros. . . it will def make you want it even more. (A stock 3800 ($1k) will get you just into the 12’s)
Old 01-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

I dig fieros - never owned one but always liked the idea. Engine swap to the DI 2.0 LNF would be fucking awesome for weight savings and a power boost...

Anyone swap in sideshift 914 transaxles?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM
conquer

PiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud of

I heard about people rebuilding the entire suspension and dropping Ferrari engines in them.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by hunter smash
I heard about people rebuilding the entire suspension and dropping Ferrari engines in them.
Fiero drivers are generally ‘frugal’ and no-one would put a Ferrari motor in one. There are however MANY Ferrari rebodies on top of the fiero. A lot of them actually use a 3.4 DOHC V6 out of a early 90’s Pontiac Grand Prix. Good for 200 hp (stock motors good for 400whp on boost) and they rev nicely (7k) They also sound most like a ferrari (http://media.putfile.com/DKOVs-engine ) I have actually seen someone who put a 2.8 into an actual Ferrari 308 for ease of repair and repair costs.

Quick Reply: Pontiac Fiero