Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

polishing wheels?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default polishing wheels?

Is there a quick way to polish the lips on these wheels? It takes forever by hand (the blue is powdercoat, the rest is just bare alloy). Or at least a quick way to do most of the polishing and then the final finish by hand?

Last edited by marlinspike; 09-11-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:07 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: polishing wheels?

i use wenol polish for aluminum wheels...iirc its two tubes...a red paste and a green ...

but with any paste....elbow grease is needed as well....
Old 09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by nftuatn
i use wenol polish for aluminum wheels...iirc its two tubes...a red paste and a green ...

but with any paste....elbow grease is needed as well....
So there's no power tool for this job? Simichrome, Wenol, P21S metal polish, it all takes friggin forever by hand, especially when you aren't able to wash them for 2 months and you get all that baked in brake pad staining.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:15 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

im sure you could get a high speed buffer? or get a angle grinder and attach a buffing/polishing wheel attachment and use that...

it will work fine...just dont use to high of speed....
Old 09-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I've always wondered if those Mothers PowerBall or PowerCone things worked or not.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:20 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I've always wondered if those Mothers PowerBall or PowerCone things worked or not.
The way this started is I was cleaning my car at a forum member's house and he said he had heard good things about the powerball. I didn't want to taint the waters by suggesting it. I don't own a drill (I kept thinkings "well, I already have a drill," but it's time I come to the realization that I no longer live with my parents 160 miles away), so I'll need to buy whatever power tool I need for this, and as long as I'm doing that I want to get whatever is the best.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:20 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

they probably would fabrik8 if you could apply pressure to them...they come attached to a 1/4 diameter 8inch long rod...that flexes with any amount of pressure...
Old 09-11-2010, 05:22 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by nftuatn
they probably would fabrik8 if you could apply pressure to them...they come attached to a 1/4 diameter 8inch long rod...that flexes with any amount of pressure...
Flitz buff ball?
http://www.flitz.com/p-35-mag-wheel-...ation-kit.aspx
Old 09-11-2010, 05:24 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

that looks better richard...at least no stupid rod..
Old 09-11-2010, 05:25 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/astr...9-p-15036.aspx

Quick Reply: polishing wheels?