Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

parting out a car with a lien

Old 06-27-2009, 12:08 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation
Default Re: parting out a car with a lien

i bought a shell from a member of this board (1 pito) and he led me to believe that the title was attainable on an integra and yea.... a gsr, rims, leather interior, nitrous and a turbo kit later i found out there was a lien on the title and him sayin he could get it when he got back from deployment was bullshit and he still expected me to pay for a car that i could only get the title for if i put it back to the way i got it. and talk to the bank that held the title in florida

so yea u can part it out but you still have to finish paying for it and the shell wont be able to be used until the car is paid off.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

A.) You need the title to give it to a salvage yard.
B.) You will still owe on the lien.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:53 PM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

Originally Posted by OhNoez!
parting out a car w/ a lien is a no go. you will still have to pay off teh lien. also as for a title. well. theres a few ppl on craigslist that take cars w/ no titles. I know this cause i got rid of an old roomies shells and my ol parts car that way. all in one day.
~skott
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
Pretty sure parting out a car with a lien on it is considered theft...... but what do I know?
Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
A BLACK MANZ WITH CREDIT?1??1!?!?11
astounding right? i had to do a double take myself after looking at my awesome credit score then looking in the mirror

Originally Posted by EH3_SOHC
i bought a shell from a member of this board (1 pito) and he led me to believe that the title was attainable on an integra and yea.... a gsr, rims, leather interior, nitrous and a turbo kit later i found out there was a lien on the title and him sayin he could get it when he got back from deployment was bullshit and he still expected me to pay for a car that i could only get the title for if i put it back to the way i got it. and talk to the bank that held the title in florida

so yea u can part it out but you still have to finish paying for it and the shell wont be able to be used until the car is paid off.

Originally Posted by RandomTask
A.) You need the title to give it to a salvage yard.
B.) You will still owe on the lien.

Perhaps i was a little unclear. of course i plan on still paying the loan, that was never in doubt. To not pay it would be considered theft, which is what lt. dan kindly reiterated.

My biggest issue was having a shell in front of my yard, i didn't want any "leftovers" from the partout, so to speak. It seems idiotic to think that i wouldn't be responsible for the loan. If(and i emphasize "if") a situation did arise in which someone wanted to purchase the whole car, it would be made very clear that no title would be coming along with it...well, not at least until i pay the loan off.

And in case you're asking, the car would be sold as a parts car. The car is currently non-running. 3 Guesses what kind of car it is
Old 06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
loves quervo

uglyDC2 will become famous soon enough

some scrap places will take it and they don't require the titles but they do record the vin and your info just in case it gets reported stolen
Old 06-27-2009, 04:03 PM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

Originally Posted by uglyDC2
some scrap places will take it and they don't require the titles but they do record the vin and your info just in case it gets reported stolen
that makes sense, looks like i need to do some research. thanks for the help fellas, mods please close.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Put it this way.. If the bank finds out you're parting a car that they own the title to, they'll most likely instantly default the loan. The like to have some collatoral for their loan, and the title to a parted out car doesn't give them that.

Did you total the car or something like that?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Works on S2000's.

C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory

I'm guessing it's another broke DSM. Just a guess though.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 PM
formerly Black_Man

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Put it this way.. If the bank finds out you're parting a car that they own the title to, they'll most likely instantly default the loan. The like to have some collatoral for their loan, and the title to a parted out car doesn't give them that.

Did you total the car or something like that?
no, the car is intact, i'm tired of throwing money at it personally. i could get into whats wrong with it, but thats a headache all in itself....because the car in question is a ....

Originally Posted by C Ory
I'm guessing it's another broke DSM. Just a guess though.
this man is a winner
Old 06-27-2009, 09:34 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

ok well why dont you do this....it will render both situations

find out how much you owe on the car...then start a for sale thread stating the problems that the car has and then ...as crazy as this may seem...

ask what you owe on the car ....that way it is legal,the car has the potential to be back on the road if someone wishes....

and your rid of the car and the lien....problem solved
Old 06-27-2009, 09:50 PM
formerly Black_Man

^ that has definitely crossed my mind, and in the end, it'd be in my best interests to go that route. I'll think about it some more, we'll see.

Either way, this thread has run its course. Thanks again for the input.

Quick Reply: parting out a car with a lien