Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Paris Motor Show: Honda Civic Type-R looks ready to take flight in Paris

Old 11-19-2014, 03:16 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired
Default Re: Paris Motor Show: Honda Civic Type-R looks ready to take flight in Paris

Has that been confirmed? Everything I'm seeing on it has been based on speculation by 1 guy named Sergio J Cabrera. Until Honda confirms it I'm not buying any of the hype.

My problem with it is that knowing Honda and especially how they've positioned themselves in the US market I can't imagine them releasing anything that's such a radical departure from the grandpa cars they sell now. Have you been to a Honda dealership recently? Things aren't as bleak as they were, but this still isn't an automaker that has even one interesting car in the lineup (I think the CR-Z is probably the closest and most people probably couldn't pick that out of a lineup because they don't promote it). I think they set the bar high with attractive concepts and then pussy out and go the safe route with actual production models.

With that being said I think that if anything close to the concept was released I think it'd be a polarizing design. Obviously there's a certain enthusiast segment of the market that has been pining after a US CTR for a decade now and so I expect the initial numbers to be promising. That being said ultimately I think this car will be a failure because I'm sure that the pricing will be all wrong (in the UK they charge the equivalent of $47k for this thing) and I don't think there's going to be a huge market for an expensive, FWD, sports hatch. Who knows though? The price may be way lower than in the UK market and it may end up being able to compete with cars in its segment like the Focus ST.

Ultimately I think most of the people demanding a US spec CTR are broke-ass fanboys who would never actually shell out the money to pay for one if it were here. They just want something because they can't have or because they know that in 10 years they might be able to afford a used one.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:48 PM
-RepLegion

Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head
Default Re: Paris Motor Show: Honda Civic Type-R looks ready to take flight in Paris

2.0 4 banger ok cool, but is it based off the gay series aka (K) series engine or is it a gay series engine? I know the RDX use's a turbo gay series motor. Im wondering if they just swapped that motor in a car.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Registered member

GTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these parts

imo it will be about 30k detuned heavier but still just as fun to drive.
and as for using a k im not sure only photo of engine didnt look like a k. exhaust was designed like a r18 so maybe a sohc/dohc r variation?
personal i think it will come and as for being a fanboy naw i just started liking hondas on a mindset level im a supra man.
but the idea of a 300hp ff civic sounds awesome to drive
Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by GTAWskilled
imo it will be about 30k detuned heavier but still just as fun to drive.
and as for using a k im not sure only photo of engine didnt look like a k. exhaust was designed like a r18 so maybe a sohc/dohc r variation?
personal i think it will come and as for being a fanboy naw i just started liking hondas on a mindset level im a supra man.
but the idea of a 300hp ff civic sounds awesome to drive
My statement about fanboys wasn't meant to be an accusation. I just meant that there's a certain segment of the enthusiast population that likes to demand things that they either can't afford or wouldn't realistically buy. I disagree with you though. 300hp in an FF sounds like a nightmare especially if they have to compromise on some of the tech (i.e. things that will allow the car to do things like put the power down and keep torque steer in check) in order to get to a competitive price point.

Like I said though I haven't seen anything yet that I would consider to be legitimate confirmation that the CTR is even coming. No official Honda source or even an anonymous tip from within Honda, just this guy Sergio J Cabrera saying that a source "next to Honda" revealed to some Spanish website (motoryracing.com) that the CTR would be coming to "North America" (meaning Canada and Mexico, but probably not the US) and that the US spec Civic Si would have an engine developed based on the engine in the CTR. Mind you that all of this has been "reported" in broken English from a post on OppositeLock (http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/hon...sts-1653681508) so who knows the credibility of this guy, the website he's talking about, or the "source next to Honda"? In fact MANY legitimate automotive websites and blogs have gone on the record as stating that the CTR would not be coming to the US. So needless to say I'm skeptical.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered member

GTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these partsGTAWskilled is infamous around these parts

i know how you stated fanboy i was implying thats not me.
i have to agree alot people dream to much honda lol.
but if they fixed the torque steer as promised then yes 300hp on ff will be a joy but thats my opinion.
who cares about that weak ass post anyways (the timeline stated would be realistic).
i feel it will come since they need to up there game here the uk doesnt buy all the hondas.
but to meet us specs means heavier base weight extra nosense mods to make those nhsta and less power due to epa dicks.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Registered member

time2op3nsh0p has disabled reputation

this is the fugliest damn type R ever. Worst than the FN2. If it did come to the US it would probably cost 35-40k..We all remember the MUGEN FA5 going for almost 40k at dealerships. That came with a couple of mugen badges, a wing, a fugly lip, and some suspension mods. Nothing to see here folks.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:56 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Actually I don't remember that. I remember looking at a brand new 8th gen Mugen at the dealership with a sticker of $29,990 or something like that. But you're right, even that one sat on the lot for years.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Originally Posted by time2op3nsh0p
this is the fugliest damn type R ever. Worst than the FN2. If it did come to the US it would probably cost 35-40k..We all remember the MUGEN FA5 going for almost 40k at dealerships. That came with a couple of mugen badges, a wing, a fugly lip, and some suspension mods. Nothing to see here folks.
Yeah I think people might pay that for the second coming of the S2000, but a Civic? Nah. I think it looks fine, but I think here in Murrica if we spend a lot of money on a car we want everyone to know about it. This is purely an enthusiast car (as demonstrated by the fantastic decision to make it 6 speed only) and most Honda enthusiasts just don't have $30k+ kicking around to spend on a Civic.

Originally Posted by Yardjass
Actually I don't remember that. I remember looking at a brand new 8th gen Mugen at the dealership with a sticker of $29,990 or something like that. But you're right, even that one sat on the lot for years.
That's the price I remember. It was horrendously overpriced and I don't think the one at my Honda dealer ever sold. I think they traded it with another dealership for more soulcrushing silver, black, and white future coffins. It's not that Hondas are ugly so much as just coma-inducingly boring. Honda's idea of an interesting car is taking the exact same Civic and painting it burnt orange instead of grey.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:17 AM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Since I forgot we had a thread about this I will try to dig up the article about the CTR coming to the states although I don't think it's destined to come here until mid 2016 IIRC.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:24 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by Trunk Impaired
Yeah I think people might pay that for the second coming of the S2000, but a Civic? Nah. I think it looks fine, but I think here in Murrica if we spend a lot of money on a car we want everyone to know about it. This is purely an enthusiast car (as demonstrated by the fantastic decision to make it 6 speed only) and most Honda enthusiasts just don't have $30k+ kicking around to spend on a Civic.

That's the price I remember. It was horrendously overpriced and I don't think the one at my Honda dealer ever sold. I think they traded it with another dealership for more soulcrushing silver, black, and white future coffins. It's not that Hondas are ugly so much as just coma-inducingly boring. Honda's idea of an interesting car is taking the exact same Civic and painting it burnt orange instead of grey.
This. I thought the Golf R was too expensive, but it is infinitely better than this Civic type R.

Quick Reply: Paris Motor Show: Honda Civic Type-R looks ready to take flight in Paris