Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Painting your own car...

Old 10-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1aznTT 1aznTT 1aznTT
Default Painting your own car...

A friend is about to paint their own car, and we were trying to find some good source dvd's or something she could check out first, anyone know of any tutorials or anything? She wants a good job, done right the first time, willing to take ALL the time and dedication to do so. Trying to do a high gloss/pearl style job. Willing to pay for the dvds downloadable or via mail- just trying to find a good resource. I am all over the place with my searches, seems i don't know enough about the topic to find what i'm looking for. If you have help, it's appreciated!
<3 Jamie
Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

1slowxr4ti has disabled reputation
Default Re: Painting your own car...

if its her first time it will not be perfect. she will fuck up some how. Not being an ass, its a fact...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Registered member

1aznTT 1aznTT 1aznTT

Originally Posted by 1slowxr4ti
if its her first time it will not be perfect. she will fuck up some how. Not being an ass, its a fact...
any pointers?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

Look into the prep it takes. Spraying a car is the easy part.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2296204_prep...paint-job.html
Old 10-26-2008, 03:43 PM
slowest member

slimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these parts

I think RE-SPECGARAGE on here has painted a few cars that turned out pretty good. im not sure what he painted it with. might try pm'ing him and ask him if he could give any advice. I would try getting like a old hood or door off of a junk car and giving that a few trys so you get a idea of how its gonna be done. just my .02 cents. good luck
Old 10-26-2008, 03:43 PM
92 si hatchy

jdmsihatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

yea paintin a car is not really cake walk. the spray part is the easiest part but like already said if it is her first time its guarenteed to be fukd up. not being an ass or anything its jus somethin everybody knows. prep isnt very fun. and i wouldnt recomend doing a pearl as your first time bc that is expensive to just keep having to sand down due to runs fish eyes and other imperfections
Old 10-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

And buy a pretty nice paint gun, that's very crucial to getting good results. The entire air system needs to be up to spec including an air dryer, etc., and enough flow for continuous use obviously.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Ammo Pusher

F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh

Just save some money up and do it professionally. Check my sig were running specials right now on paint work.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Registered member

1aznTT 1aznTT 1aznTT

Originally Posted by F4Fresh
Just save some money up and do it professionally. Check my sig were running specials right now on paint work.
Oh she has money, that's not the case, this is a hobby
but thank you for the advice...

I will let her know if she changes her mind about it.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Registered member

1aznTT 1aznTT 1aznTT

Also, the junk car door/hood idea is a GREAT idea! And using other paint first to learn, I like it
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I can get her to buy from a yard first a door or panel to practice on. She's not impatient or anything.

All advice GREATLY appreciated!

Quick Reply: Painting your own car...