Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Painting engine parts..still original?

Old 06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05chevyyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Painting engine parts..still original?

I am in the process of buying an all original 1965 Buick Wildcat. The car is in really good shape inside and out, but the engine is the original fadded ugly ass teal color. If I got this painted or chromed would it still be "original". I want it to stay original because classic cars are usualy worth more when they are. The car is a real eye turner until you open the hood so I really want to do somthing about it. My dad says no because it will drop the value which I think is total bull shit.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Deirdrea ccchr has disabled reputation
Default Re: Painting engine parts..still original?

Originally Posted by 05chevyyy
I am in the process of buying an all original 1965 Buick Wildcat. The car is in really good shape inside and out, but the engine is the original fadded ugly ass teal color. If I got this painted or chromed would it still be "original". I want it to stay original because classic cars are usualy worth more when they are. The car is a real eye turner until you open the hood so I really want to do somthing about it. My dad says no because it will drop the value which I think is total bull shit.
Listen to your dad he is right. The total bullshit is you dont believe your dad! You can contact the local aaca, antique automobile club of america. Or flatlanders in norfolk, allen thornton is the man to talk to. That is where i got this info. And it is correct. It will drop the value!!!!

And what is the color of the car? It may have been changed as the engine compartment. There are the codes you can get by the vin #

In order for the car to be original it has to be just as it rolled of the floor, exception is tires, you can use radials. But for the top notch shows you will have to order the right tires.

Or you can say i am full of bull! Its up to you.

Dee president, Car Club Council of Hampton Roads.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Registered member

Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall
Default Re: Painting engine parts..still original?

listen to your pops if you are looking to maintain the value, especially if it's the correct engine for the car

if you plan on keeping it though and enjoying it for yourself then do whatever you like..just don't plan on winning lotsa trophies in the factory stock divisions.

i have given up restoring my challenger to factory specs as it used to be a V-6 car.

my plymouth on the other hand is just waiting around for a period correct 340 to toss in