Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The official DMV question thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 AM
SPARKLEmotion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah
Default Re: The official DMV question thread

Originally Posted by Jenkinsal2
I just want to clarify something. I purchased and registered a car for a few months. Then decided to use the car only for track duty. The insurance has been canceled and tags returned. Is there any way that I can get out of paying the property tax on the vehicle every year or am I stuck with it even though It is no longer even being driven?
I believe your stuck bro. Property is property..... EX: If you own a house, you don't technically have to have home owners insurance or even live in it, but you still owe the tax man.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by FObangah
So what's the link between the DMV and Department of Taxation? (The connection that lets each other know whether someone has paid or not) Do you guys share a system or do you guys just pass notes in class? I don't see how it could be broken to where I straighten everything out at DMV, yet the Tax man thinks I still own the car, when obviously there is direct communication between the two departments... I mean how else would the tax man even know I have the car without DMV? (I sure as hell didn't tell him)
I'm not really a collector, I just never through them out.

As far as I know, the DMV sends a report to the Commissioner of the Revenue (or tax assessor, depending on how the county is set up) and they consolidate it with their records to see if a vehicle was bought, sold, or destroyed in the last year. They are not always correct, which is why when you get your personal property tax declaration, you have a dispute box on the bill where you can show the car was sold or destroyed.

I bought half a dozen cars for salvage last year, and had to write a notarized statement for each of the owners to have the vehicle removed from their tax bills.

Originally Posted by Jenkinsal2
I just want to clarify something. I purchased and registered a car for a few months. Then decided to use the car only for track duty. The insurance has been canceled and tags returned. Is there any way that I can get out of paying the property tax on the vehicle every year or am I stuck with it even though It is no longer even being driven?

If you own a vehicle, you are required to pay personal property tax on it.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

New question:

For anyone that has applied for the Sun-Shading Medical Waiver, what was the turn-around time before you received your new vehicle registration in the mail??

I sent my application in about a month ago, and I'm getting nervous because the car has been tinted in the meantime....

Other experiences may help.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

Originally Posted by dyoungin'
New question:

For anyone that has applied for the Sun-Shading Medical Waiver, what was the turn-around time before you received your new vehicle registration in the mail??

I sent my application in about a month ago, and I'm getting nervous because the car has been tinted in the meantime....

Other experiences may help.
I can't speak for your turn around time but I will tell you this: The police will profile the FUCK out of you if your tinted (even legally). My ex-room mate had legit "LIMO" tint on his Lincoln for 2 years and never once got stopped. As soon as he put a set of rims on it though, he was getting stopped at the least 2 times a month.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

Yeah I used to have 15% on my last car and I never got bothered until I lowered it, swapped rims, and swapped exhaust. Then I got tickets like clockwork on the same stretch of 81 out in SW Va. Lame as shit.

I wish someone that has received their waiver could chime in...
Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

Project "H" has disabled reputation

I bought a parts car with no title but have a bill of sale how do i go about getting the title i have heard several stories.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:26 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Project "H"
I bought a parts car with no title but have a bill of sale how do i go about getting the title i have heard several stories.

You need to do an abandoned vehicle owner request, which entails you taking the VIN number to the DMV, filling out a form, paying 10 bucks, and they send a letter to the last registered owner. They have 30 days to respond, after which you can then go through the abandoned vehicle title process.

Granted, this is not the correct way of doing this since you have a bill of sale, and technically it is not an "abandoned" vehicle, but it will get you where you need to be.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 AM
Registered Member

Project "H" has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
You need to do an abandoned vehicle owner request, which entails you taking the VIN number to the DMV, filling out a form, paying 10 bucks, and they send a letter to the last registered owner. They have 30 days to respond, after which you can then go through the abandoned vehicle title process.

Granted, this is not the correct way of doing this since you have a bill of sale, and technically it is not an "abandoned" vehicle, but it will get you where you need to be.
Hey thanks for yor help wasnt to sure on how to do this and this is one of the things i heard to do and i needed a second opinion
Old 03-03-2011, 05:11 AM
Registered Member

RoyB93 has disabled reputation

my license was suspended by the court for a possesion charge for 6 months, i completed an 8 hour driving class and called dmv to make sure they got the certificate of completion, and they told me they did, but they also said it doesnt show that it was suspended on my record, and that if i bring two forms of ID i can get another license. My only question is how legal is this, my suspension isnt over for another 2 months according to the court. But, basically im wondering if i can get away with this.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by RoyB93
my license was suspended by the court for a possesion charge for 6 months, i completed an 8 hour driving class and called dmv to make sure they got the certificate of completion, and they told me they did, but they also said it doesnt show that it was suspended on my record, and that if i bring two forms of ID i can get another license. My only question is how legal is this, my suspension isnt over for another 2 months according to the court. But, basically im wondering if i can get away with this.
gtfo.

Quick Reply: The official DMV question thread