Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The official DMV question thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alextato06 alextato06 alextato06 alextato06 alextato06 alextato06 alextato06
Default Re: The official DMV question thread

hey i have a question i want to buy a guy off a guy who own a wreck yard but he doesnt have the title ... how can i get the title ? how easy is it? and how long you think the process take ? thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

Originally Posted by jordan304
were can i go?
Funkytown?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:03 PM
herpin and derpin

cbradio cbradio cbradio cbradio cbradio cbradio cbradio cbradio cbradio cbradio cbradio

Originally Posted by alextato06
hey i have a question i want to <b>buy a guy off a guy</b> who own a wreck yard but he doesnt have the title ... how can i get the title ? how easy is it? and how long you think the process take ? thanks
wait, wut?

Also, in because I have a scooter with no title. Last registered in 05. Dont know who the previous owner was so no Bill of Sale or leads. What can I do?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM
NBHNC

Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H

My question is about obtaining my title number to get a personalized plate on the DMV website.

I currently have a loan on my car, and I'm looking to buy my plates online. My registration card has the field for title number blank, and the website asks for it. Do I need to go down to the DMV to get this?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Lay Zee H
My question is about obtaining my title number to get a personalized plate on the DMV website.

I currently have a loan on my car, and I'm looking to buy my plates online. My registration card has the field for title number blank, and the website asks for it. Do I need to go down to the DMV to get this?
Yeah, since your car was likely tagged at the selling dealer, until you renew them the card will not have the title number. Rather simple to do, just go to the DMV with the tag you want written down and get it done there. Or, if you want to save 5 bucks, you go there, get the title number, then go online. But that is pointless IMO.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 AM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
Your property taxes *should* be based off of the registration and tags, at least thats how they are in my area. Again, this all depends on each locality.

I would contact your tax assessors office first, then go to the DMV and see.
This is a combo comment/question so bare with me:

To the best of my knowledge, here in Henrico, the AMOUNT of your taxes is a percentage of what the commonwealth assesses your car at.Rarely do they base it on the "sale amount" (which they should). There's a connection between DMV and the Depo. of Taxation (don't know the exact process) that lets the depo know that you even have/own the car at all. If the person behind you (junker,buyer,etc.) doesn't register the vehicle and you have TURNED YOUR TAGS IN TO DMV, the "gum'ment" is still under the impression that you have/own the vehicle and it doesn't have to be registered for them to STILL tax you for it.

This has happened to me before with a previously OWNED car of mine. I've NEVER had to turn in tags before when selling a car (got a collection to prove it) so I didn't think any different. DMV sent me a letter saying I needed to fork out the $500 un-insured motorist fee for the car. "SAY what? hell naw..." I bring the tags/bill of sale to DMV and tell the rep that I sold the car some time ago. She even ran the name of the guy on the bill of sale to see if we may be able to find it as an error in the titling or something. " It hasn't been registered to anyone else sir. " " I'm sorry that the guy I sold it to didn't register it but it's not my responsibility to make sure he does." After a round of stupid ass comments like ' You need to bring the title in sir" (Why would i have the title?) it's settled by a different more cooperative rep.

It gets cleared up but the state was still trying to get me for $20 for the car. Desk rep at the taxation/permit place tells me that I HAVE to pay the extra $20 or face suspension because DMV's "system" says I still own the car.... which I had settled 3 months before. I said check with DMV because "....I don't own that car, they have the tags and everything." She then says she "doesn't have a way of checking". Thats weird because she had already told me the DMV "system" showed her that i still owned the car.... and she had a phone right in front of her and wouldn't call them. Soooooo good luck to this dude with the tax problem. I guess my overall question is how does someone avoid all this again w/ a buyer that doesn't register the vehicle?

Last edited by FObangah; 01-26-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

grant90 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by alextato06
hey i have a question i want to buy a guy off a guy who own a wreck yard but he doesnt have the title ... how can i get the title ? how easy is it? and how long you think the process take ? thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by FObangah
This is a combo comment/question so bare with me:

To the best of my knowledge, here in Henrico, the AMOUNT of your taxes is a percentage of what the commonwealth assesses your car at.Rarely do they base it on the "sale amount" (which they should). There's a connection between DMV and the Depo. of Taxation (don't know the exact process) that lets the depo know that you even have/own the car at all. If the person behind you (junker,buyer,etc.) doesn't register the vehicle and you have TURNED YOUR TAGS IN TO DMV, the "gum'ment" is still under the impression that you have/own the vehicle and it doesn't have to be registered for them to STILL tax you for it.

This has happened to me before with a previously OWNED car of mine. I've NEVER had to turn in tags before when selling a car (got a collection to prove it) so I didn't think any different. DMV sent me a letter saying I needed to fork out the $500 un-insured motorist fee for the car. "SAY what? hell naw..." I bring the tags/bill of sale to DMV and tell the rep that I sold the car some time ago. She even ran the name of the guy on the bill of sale to see if we may be able to find it as an error in the titling or something. " It hasn't been registered to anyone else sir. " " I'm sorry that the guy I sold it to didn't register it but it's not my responsibility to make sure he does." After a round of stupid ass comments like ' You need to bring the title in sir" (Why would i have the title?) it's settled by a different more cooperative rep.

It gets cleared up but the state was still trying to get me for $20 for the car. Desk rep at the taxation/permit place tells me that I HAVE to pay the extra $20 or face suspension because DMV's "system" says I still own the car.... which I had settled 3 months before. I said check with DMV because "....I don't own that car, they have the tags and everything." She then says she "doesn't have a way of checking". Thats weird because she had already told me the DMV "system" showed her that i still owned the car.... and she had a phone right in front of her and wouldn't call them. Soooooo good luck to this dude with the tax problem. I guess my overall question is how does someone avoid all this again w/ a buyer that doesn't register the vehicle?

If you sell a vehicle, it is your responsibility to take the tags (registration) off of it. Someone can purchase a vehicle and have it sit for years before titling and registering it in their name (although technically its illegal to sell it to another buyer without titling it in that persons name first) so it will still show up that you were the last RO (registered owner).

I see this often. Best thing for you to do is to turn the tags in when you sell the car, even if its just one tag and you say you "lost" the other one if you want to keep a collection.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

I just want to clarify something. I purchased and registered a car for a few months. Then decided to use the car only for track duty. The insurance has been canceled and tags returned. Is there any way that I can get out of paying the property tax on the vehicle every year or am I stuck with it even though It is no longer even being driven?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:13 AM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
If you sell a vehicle, it is your responsibility to take the tags (registration) off of it. Someone can purchase a vehicle and have it sit for years before titling and registering it in their name (although technically its illegal to sell it to another buyer without titling it in that persons name first) so it will still show up that you were the last RO (registered owner).
So what's the link between the DMV and Department of Taxation? (The connection that lets each other know whether someone has paid or not) Do you guys share a system or do you guys just pass notes in class? I don't see how it could be broken to where I straighten everything out at DMV, yet the Tax man thinks I still own the car, when obviously there is direct communication between the two departments... I mean how else would the tax man even know I have the car without DMV? (I sure as hell didn't tell him)
I see this often. Best thing for you to do is to turn the tags in when you sell the car, even if its just one tag and you say you "lost" the other one if you want to keep a collection.
I'm not really a collector, I just never through them out.

Quick Reply: The official DMV question thread