Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The official DMV question thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804
Default Re: The official DMV question thread

i had a car under my name buh it was totaled so i decided to part it out. When i was done with it i junked it around august. Now i have a personal property tax that still has that car on it. Do i call/go in dmv n tell them i junked it and avoid paying the bill? Do i have to show anything to them when i do that?

EDIT*: i don't have the title i gave it to the guy who'd towed my car away

Last edited by SupraTT804; 12-11-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by SupraTT804
i had a car under my name buh it was totaled so i decided to part it out. When i was done with it i junked it around august. Now i have a personal property tax that still has that car on it. Do i call/go in dmv n tell them i junked it and avoid paying the bill? Do i have to show anything to them when i do that?

EDIT*: i don't have the title i gave it to the guy who'd towed my car away

You need to have a VSA 44 (vehicle demolition report) filled out whenever you have a vehicle scrapped. I strongly suggest finding the purchaser of the vehicle and having them give you a bill of sale at the very least. If you can get documentation of having the vehicle destroyed, you can take that to your local tax assessors office and they will use it to finish out your last tax bill.

That is a BIG problem with these scrappers lately. Everyone with a truck and trailer is hauling cars off for scrap cause of the prices now, but they are not doing their paperwork correctly.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804 SupraTT804

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
You need to have a VSA 44 (vehicle demolition report) filled out whenever you have a vehicle scrapped. I strongly suggest finding the purchaser of the vehicle and having them give you a bill of sale at the very least. If you can get documentation of having the vehicle destroyed, you can take that to your local tax assessors office and they will use it to finish out your last tax bill.

That is a BIG problem with these scrappers lately. Everyone with a truck and trailer is hauling cars off for scrap cause of the prices now, but they are not doing their paperwork correctly.
damn that sucks because i dont even own the guy who towed it away... my dad called them. Where can i fill the report at? So if i don't fill the report that car will b in my name forever?
Old 12-11-2010, 01:35 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by SupraTT804
damn that sucks because i dont even own the guy who towed it away... my dad called them. Where can i fill the report at? So if i don't fill the report that car will b in my name forever?
You should be able to go to DMV and file a sales afidavit, I cannot remember the form number though, nor can I find one on the database.

I would to go the DMV and ask them myself. Technically as long as you do not have it registered, meaning no tags, you will be fine. You just come up as the last recorded owner on a title search.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

You should be able to go to DMV and file a sales afidavit, I cannot remember the form number though, nor can I find one on the database.

I would to go the DMV and ask them myself. Technically as long as you do not have it registered, meaning no tags, you will be fine. You just come up as the last recorded owner on a title search.
buh it will still b in my name for the property tax bill which thats the thing i don't want. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:49 PM
The Pro to call.

Your property taxes *should* be based off of the registration and tags, at least thats how they are in my area. Again, this all depends on each locality.

I would contact your tax assessors office first, then go to the DMV and see.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 AM
liquor&cheeseburgers

Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy

Technically VA cannot give you a ticket for expired inspection anyway, the only thing they can get you for is expired registration if it happens to be out, but that is very hard to do (ie ya gotta be a rahtard to get a ticket for that.
I got one last month
Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

jordan304 has disabled reputation

were can i go?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

jordan304 has disabled reputation

need an mbw
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by jordan304
were can i go?
Originally Posted by jordan304
need an mbw
uhhhhhhhhh wut?

Quick Reply: The official DMV question thread