Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The official DMV question thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:40 AM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: The official DMV question thread

As long as you have a bill of sale signed by both parties you are fine.

If you did not, then you have a few options, but the easiest is to just tell them to charge you sales tax on the NADA value. I do that often, its better to pay the tax and get it done than fight for a few days to save a few bucks.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Reported. Fucking burn in Hell spammer.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

This probably isn't a new question but someone with some more information about it could help me out. Anyways, I've been curious here recently about how title transfers go from state to state. For example, if I bought a car in Maryland, but live in Virginia, do you take the title to your local DMV and get the title changed just as if you had a Virginia title? I've seen a few cars that i might be interested in looking into but I would like to know how this goes first. I'd also like to know what issues, if any, were faced when doing this.

Last edited by Yep4doors; 03-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Yep4doors
This probably isn't a new question but someone with some more information about it could help me out. Anyways, I've been curious here recently about how title transfers go from state to state. For example, if I bought a car in Maryland, but live in Virginia, do you take the title to your local DMV and get the title changed just as if you had a Virginia title? I've seen a few cars that i might be interested in looking into but I would like to know how this goes first.
Yes, it is not hard. A simple VSA17a should be all you need to get a title done, provided there are no liens attached or other oddball things to deal with.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
Yes, it is not hard. A simple VSA17a should be all you need to get a title done, provided there are no liens attached or other oddball things to deal with.
That. I just bought a car from SC, went to my local DMV, just transfer it over like normal title. If I remember it right, there was some extra paper work, but it's very straightforward
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

thanks guys its been a simple question I've been wondering for a while!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered member

03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib

Ok, so I looked on the DMV website and didn't see a lot about "gifting" a car. I assume writing GIFT in the selling price should work but didn't know if I needed a bill of sale as well or there were any forms that needed to be filled out. If anyone has done this and has any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 AM
The Pro to call.

Originally Posted by 03tib
Ok, so I looked on the DMV website and didn't see a lot about "gifting" a car. I assume writing GIFT in the selling price should work but didn't know if I needed a bill of sale as well or there were any forms that needed to be filled out. If anyone has done this and has any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks
You will need a signed bill of sale indicating it was a gift, and you will be fine.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

crookedking has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cardana24
I just bought a car from MD with a MD title. The car has a salvage title because it has been hit in the front. I plan on fixing it then driving it. The car is now in VA. What do I need to do once I fix the car to get it back on the road again? Thanks for any help.
I am kind of having this problem now.

Bought a motorcycle in MD with a MD salvageD (was rebuilt, examined, and passed in MD) title, tried to register in VA but I had to mail the title and some other forms to Richmond. ):

I hope they don't have to examine it again
Old 04-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by 03tib

Thanks
Can't you sell someone the car for $1and gift it that way?

Quick Reply: The official DMV question thread