Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

No radar detector law a bad thing?

Old 01-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skeeter has disabled reputation
Default No radar detector law a bad thing?

Originally Posted by wheelman
We already have the nazi-like "no radar detector" crap here
DISCLAIMER:
First off -- wheelman i don't mean to be attacking you or your opinion by quoting this. Seeing this simply prompted me to inquire as to wether others agree or disagree with this law. Obviously I know where you stand which is cool. Again -- I respect everyone's opinion on this.
:END DISCLAIMER:

I'm just curious what everyone else thinks. Is the law against radar detectors unjust or just uncool? Should devices which inform you of speed traps be legal? Obviously this thread has no outcome of changing anything -- i'm just curious as to what reason anyone can provide to why they should be legal.

Having said: my opnion is obvious. I don't quite understand why they should be legal anywhere. Obviously speeding is going to occur regardless (which I admitly do) however it's usually with fear that that unknown cop with a radar will get you, so at least it is speeding with some fear. If radar detectors were legal i would think more people would speed at higher speeds and be able to slow down to prevent being caught. Not sure how such a thing can be good

Discuss amoungst yourselves. Interested to hear people's opinions.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage
Default Re: No radar detector law a bad thing?

From one standpoint I think it's great because VA isn't very quick on upgrading to laser since detectors are illegal, so I get plenty of warning on their old K and X band radar with my detector. As long as you're smart about it you'll never get caught with a detector anyway (mine is velcro'd on to the dash and out of sight when I'm not speeding)

As far as the law goes its definitely infringing on my civil liberty so I don't agree with it. If I want to monitor the airwaves in my vehicle for radiation that the city unwillingly imposes on me that should be my prerogative.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Blow Me

Stillpushin is an unknown quantity at this point

Put that way that is a good point. The idea of being able to detect the law is probably a little sketchy, but it shouldn't be illegal to use a tool like that. What about detector detectors, couldn't you get caught with one that way?
Old 01-23-2005, 11:08 AM

BKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond reputeBKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond reputeBKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond reputeBKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond reputeBKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond reputeBKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond reputeBKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond reputeBKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond reputeBKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond reputeBKS_SC2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well its legal in at least 47 out of the 50 states, so I think that tells you something.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

StreetRacer69 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by vmspionage
From one standpoint I think it's great because VA isn't very quick on upgrading to laser since detectors are illegal, so I get plenty of warning on their old K and X band radar with my detector. As long as you're smart about it you'll never get caught with a detector anyway (mine is velcro'd on to the dash and out of sight when I'm not speeding)

As far as the law goes its definitely infringing on my civil liberty so I don't agree with it. If I want to monitor the airwaves in my vehicle for radiation that the city unwillingly imposes on me that should be my prerogative.
Here in Fairfax County the majority, if not all the cops already use Laser and have been for about 4 years now. Radar detectors do nothing until your screwed here.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:56 AM
-RepLegion

Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc

I don't bother with a detector, I run old school CB on road trips and truckers do a good job of warning. Localy, I drive the same roads every day 2 all hours and know when the beach PD is done cashing in the out of towners and back to busting squids for the winter cash. IE Oceana blvd- 9pm-5am and it's not raining 60% chance one will be darked out in one of 4 places.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Vector has disabled reputation

The whole point for cops to give out speeding tickets is so that people will slow down and stop speeding. If I have a radar dectector and it starts going off, im slowing down. To me both situations end the same, its just that with the detector i dont get a ticket.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:42 AM
No Turbo & No Talon

Turbo Talon has disabled reputation

well i personally see it as a hipocracy. If they r going to be illegal then make them illegal everywhere.

It makes no sence to drive from GA TO MD and have to turn off an item because the silly commonwealth you r passing through doesnt like them.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Licensed to Kill

Keiichi is an unknown quantity at this point

on average, i don't do more than 10 over. 0 tickets in 6 years of driving. no need for a detector.

Last edited by Keiichi; 01-25-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:18 PM
My dick is tan.

Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii

has anybody ever been busted w/ a radar detector?

Quick Reply: No radar detector law a bad thing?