Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Nissan IDx

Old 11-20-2013, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker
Default Nissan IDx

Nissan let loose some information on their new concept car.

It really harkens back to the old 510 coupe and the GT-R Hakosuka styling wise. It's grown on me the more I look at it. The finalized car will look a lot more stream lined, and probably lose the delicious fender mirrors.

Andy Palmer, the EVP of global marketing for Nissan, posted on NICO that Nissan was revealing something with some retro styling that was not Z related, and this is it. So far, I'm impressed, BUT I have major reservations as Nissan hasn't exactly gotten even base hits in recently.

My major complaints so far are that it's rumored to only produce 150 hp and will be mated to a god awful CVT. Nissan posted up a video showcasing the car with interviews from the designers, and they kept repeating they were listening to the customer base for what the car should be, yet they still miss the fact we want a happy stick and a man pedal, not a sissy pretend shifting, horribly unreliable CVT. This car could have some major implications in grass roots racing, but with a CVT, many people will pass it over.

I would like to know more technicals on it, which I assume Nissan will be releasing over time. What kind of suspension is under it? What motor are they exactly using? Rumor has it that the Juke motor is being used with a turbo model available. What's the expected curb weight? With how small it looks, it looks light, but with only 150 hp, I don't see it being a competitive performer if it gets too far north of 2500 lb.

http://paultan.org/2013/11/20/nissan...un-510-reborn/

This link has a good amount of pictures for both the freeflow and NISMO models.

The interior is very concept car "cool". That will definitely be toned down by production, and I expect things like the recessed C pillar to be smoothed with the body work to remove the floating roof look. I hope they maintain the aggressive front, but crash safety standards might end up forcing a change there. Thankfully, with Nissan's new addition of 1.5 giga-Pa steel, they have some leeway with how to design the crumple zones to be more form over function. The front splitter will probably be removed in favor of a more pedestrian friendly bumper and cover.

Thoughts? Kill it with fire? Welcome it with open arms? Complete and utter indifference?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 AM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Default Re: Nissan IDx

From the pictures alone I immediately thought of a Charger...
Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

With a CVT, the power upgrade potential is going to be very low. That's a really weak link in the drivetrain, so cars will likely need to remain stock or have very minor bolt-on mods. Let's hope they don't keep that part of it.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

They don't mention FWD or RWD either.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

Yeah, Nissan's been REALLY tight lipped on if it's FWD or RWD. All signs have been pointing towards RWD given our discussion with Palmer, but I would like to see confirmation one way of the other. If it's FWD, they should go ahead and cancel it. We already have a Sentra. No need for another one. I'm going to do some digging through Tokyo Auto Show articles to see if there's any more information on powertrain choices.

As for the CVT, I don't think it'll take long for enthusiasts to toss in a proper gearbox. If I get one, I'll definitely make it my life's goal to fit a 6MT or 5MT in there and burn the CVT in effigy at the local dealership. Maybe even drive to NNA HQ in Tennessee and burn it there.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Tonight... You!

07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec

well, the CVT's in the b16 gen SER (Non-Spec V) is supposedly able to handle 275whp with mods, up from 175 bhp. I've always thought that if you can have a strong CVT paired with boost, you'd always have boost lol. Although, overall I agree with you, I'd rather even a non-cvt auto over cvt, and 6mt over both of those. They look pretty interesting, but cars rarely turn out looking like their concepts. In this case that's good and bad.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

I like where their heads are at in terms of trying to design something that enthusiasts will like, but the concept is a little bit weak. Especially if they ditch the mirrors. Something about the proportions just looks fucked up. If this is their FR-S/BRZ/GT86 fighter then I think they need to go back to the drawing board. Retro cars don't work unless the general public is pretty familiar with the car that it's based on and even that isn't a guarantee of success. The FR-S is an attractive car and Toyota was smart enough to give it universal appeal as well as some enthusiast appeal with the AE86 tie-in. The heritage AE86 tie-in worked for Toyota because the AE86 has a current cult following that they could play off of. I'm not sure that the 510 would be the best equivalent for Nissan. They should be looking into a new Silvia. That just seems like the obvious choice if you're going for a light, under-powered RWD coupe.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:33 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

So a MINI, a Charger and a Camaro had a love child?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 PM
(. )( .) & 8====>

Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin'

manufacturers need to stop doing 'retro' designs.