Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Nissan guys! VQ question.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 AM
conquer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud of
Default Nissan guys! VQ question.

I am looking at buying a 2002 Altima 3.5 SE. It has 99k on it. I am going to look at it today. I want to know if any of you know of some common issues with the VQ35 or just some problems those cars have in general. I will research some online but I just wanted to post here as well! Thanks for your help.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW
Default Re: Nissan guys! VQ question.

Pretty good engine. Just don't buy the 2.5 that year cuz they fucking suck. The altimas arn't the best cars out there and have their issues like any other, but the 3.5 is the most reliable. See if the plugs have been done as it has 100k mile plugs and its not simple like the others because you have to dissasemble the intake plenum to do the job.

Other than that, check over the car like any other car you would buy.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 AM
conquer

PiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JROW
Pretty good engine. Just don't buy the 2.5 that year cuz they fucking suck. The altimas arn't the best cars out there and have their issues like any other, but the 3.5 is the most reliable. See if the plugs have been done as it has 100k mile plugs and its not simple like the others because you have to dissasemble the intake plenum to do the job.

Awesome. Thanks. I will check it thoroughly.

Last edited by PiGPEN; 05-06-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
conquer

Test drove it today. Seemed straight. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. Didn't know it was right behind DTM either, that was a suprise.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer

I got a 2.5 liter one so far the only issue I had was the the cat converter toke a shit, some parts went into the engine and the car started to run like shit. Nissan gave me a new engine since the cat cov was still covered until 80K. Previous owner brought it back and replaced all the call back items tho. Another issue is that my clutch pedal sometimes drops , don't know why. If you are getting a 3.5 liter, 2002 model I recommend getting one that is still within the warranty period just to be on the safe side, if you can find a maxima that might be even a better car .

Here is some more feedback, altima doesn't really have a good rep
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...an_altima.html

Here is another member talking about my scenario, in the above link search in the page:
over 40 complaints. Hence I am replacing my cat cov even though its pretty new, in the summer already.

Last edited by ravenracer; 05-06-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:46 AM
conquer

^^^ Damn. I just read a few of those. That has me thinking about it. My other choice was a 2002 or newer Acura TL. Maybe a 99-01. I still have to be careful with those because their was a recall that had to do with the transmission (3.2 TLs and CLs) Every one I've looked at so far I made sure has had the recall done. It's hard to find one with decent miles :-(

Last edited by PiGPEN; 05-07-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:53 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

The 2.5 in the sentra and altima 02-06 is a horrible motor because of the converter/manifold design. The converters are junk and the material gets sucked up into the engine causing it to consume oil like crazy. The 3.5 is pretty solid tho.

If I were you I'd go with the TL anyway, that shit is hot.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

The 2002 2.5 I know was a problem child. I've got a 2005 2.5 SL (loaded) and I absolutely love it.

Go to nissanclub.com and check out the Altima section. There are a TON of problems with that year/engine combo. I know it changed for '05 so I lucked out.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:02 AM
conquer

Originally Posted by ufctapout
The 2002 2.5 I know was a problem child. I've got a 2005 2.5 SL (loaded) and I absolutely love it.

Go to nissanclub.com and check out the Altima section. There are a TON of problems with that year/engine combo. I know it changed for '05 so I lucked out.
Well since it's the first year of that body style and engine I might pass on it. It's a very nice car and drove amazingly, I might double check the maintanance on it.

If I were you I'd go with the TL anyway, that shit is hot.
Yea. I may just do that. It's a tough decision because the Altima is in excellent condition in every aspect. It was flawless.

Last edited by PiGPEN; 05-07-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Standartenführer

euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus

I owned a 2002 VQ35DE for 2 years - had it lightly moded and it ran like a charm. Never a leak or an issue. Mine was doing 245wHP and 250lbs TQ w/ headers+CAI+exhaust. Lighter flywheel, Stage 2 clutch, UDP plus what I had are the most popular mods amongst the Altima crowd or...take off the resonator and put on a turbo kit and you got a rumbling ~350HP FWD tire-burner

The BIG maintenance on your 3.5 Alti is at 100k - includes tranny flush, radiator flush and spark plugs.

Last edited by euthorus; 05-07-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Nissan guys! VQ question.