Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Newport News po-po's & exhausts....

Old 03-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Jus' VDubbin...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VdubNChick is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Newport News po-po's & exhausts....

Word has it that exhausts systems are now illegal in NN...i just wanted to see how many of you have been warned/ticketed for having after market exhausts in Newport News ??
Old 03-09-2003, 07:31 PM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Um ... they've always been illegal. This is not just NN either, all of VA.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1049

So unless the aftermarket exhaust is just as quiet/loud as the stock one is it's illegal.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Jus' VDubbin...

VdubNChick is an unknown quantity at this point

ahhh...well, ok...it just seems like they are really enforcing it now...
Old 03-09-2003, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Capster78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless they can prove beyond a resonable doubt that your exhast is aftermarket there is nothing they can do. They can listen to your car till there blue in the face, it doesent prove its illegal unless they know what your car came with stock and can prove you changed it.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Buick turbo tweaker

REDS TTYPE is an unknown quantity at this point

cap your way off on that one...they can charge you with whatever they want its up to you to prve in court that you have a legal exuast system which they may even have a db reading of you passing by.

Its nice to have that it gets old listening to all the buffalo fart exaust tips
Old 03-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Registered member

rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166

My parents own 3 bussinesses in NN and they cant seem to catch the poeple that vandilism them i guess they and to busy writing the "exhaust tickets"
Old 03-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Capster78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Red.. What is the maximum decibal level in Newport News or Hampton VA for that matter. And, Who carries around anything that could measure the decibal level of an exhast system. If you fight an exhast tickett the courts arent going to want to waste time on it and if your good at defending yourself it will get thrown out. You cant measure a decibal level outside in the open air. you have to have a completly soundproof room with sensative measuring equipment.

oh and its innocent untill proven guilty. So you dont have to prove your innocence, they have to prove your guilty. All you have to say is that its a stock exhast system and make them prove its not. If they say.. well its loud.. Just say. well how loud is loud. What I might think is loud someone else might think is quiet. Thats completly an opinionated statement. Even so, what is TO LOUD (refer back to the decibal level arguement). And if you really have to streatch it.. say its just an aftermarket muffler in replacement of the stock muffler put on by a muffler shop. The law states any modification at all to a stock exhast system is illegal. This doesent make sense. Better arrest all these shop owners installing replacement exhast systems. Just because you have an exhast tip doesent mean your exhast is not stock. You just put it on to look nice. There are so many holes in this law its almost a waste of time for a cop to write a tickett for it unless your dumb enough to say.. uhh.. yeah its an aftermarket exhast..

Last edited by Capster78; 03-09-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:25 PM
WS6
www.autocross.us

WS6 is an unknown quantity at this point

A 97 LT1 with Factory SLP Loudmouth system is really loud at WOT. It is nothing compared to a Harley, which are obnoxiously loud, especially if you run across a pack of them.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:47 AM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Capster78: I know it's SUPPOSED to be innocent until proven guilty. Think about how it works though. I, for example, got an exhaust ticket when I was driving my 93 RX7. Because he wrote me the ticket, I was assumed guilty and owed a fine. I had to go defend my innocnence in that it was in fact a stock exhaust. The cop even said he couldn't find anything wrong with the car and that he just didn't like the sound of it. I had to take the time off work and go defend my innocence.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:31 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

harleys sound is copyrighted. maybe someone like DC Sports, or Apexi should copyright the exhuast sound. shrug.

Quick Reply: Newport News po-po's & exhausts....